Rats Rats And More Rats

Haven't had any signs of rats for a while now, but wanted to add to this post. In the past, we bought those block poisons and screwed a block of it onto a 2x4 to enable us to slide it under the shed coop out of reach of pets and chickens. Then we could also pull it out and check the bait and screw another block on if needed.

Well I decided to fight the rats today. Read through a few threads and decided to go the Miss Prissy route with bacon grease cut in with the powdered sugar and POP.
The last few days the rats have become very bold running into their holes to turn around and look at me. My dog spends most of her day with her ears perked up and head cocked listening and looking for her next victim.

Good Girl
sickbyc.gif

So this morning I went out with the rat dessert and 2 hours later my dog was confused because the sounds she hears all day stopped. I didn't see any sign of rats all day long so I am keeping my
fl.gif

I spent the afternoon filling all their tunnels. . all but their "front door". I put out more dessert throughout the day and tonight. BTW the ants are having a feast day on Miss Prissy's dessert.

I will check back here tomorrow or the next day to let everyone know if we made progress.

I am thinking they all porked out on the fine gourmet meal we provided this morning then went back home feeling sick. Hope they all die. Quickly.

Last edited:
Have you had success with the plaster of paris mixture? I have been mixing plaster of paris and chicken feed for the past couple of nights and have had the bowls cleaned out both times but have only found one dead rat. I really don't want to use more poison but I also don't want to be just feeding these nasty critters either.

We too have started having a problem with rats. We've tried many things so far...sugar and cement in a container, poison, traps and on and on. Finally today while we were out by the coop deciding what to try next, I notice a dead rat under my deck...we were elated( sorry to say) ! Hopefully now we will start to see the rat population dwindle.
By the way, I used to work at a breeding laboratory (rat farm) and rats and mice are able to have up to 11 offspring every 21 days. I'm not willing to allow too much time to pass before I get rid of them, because next they will be coming into my house. They are not that cute!

We have been hunting rats for the past few nights after seeing tunnels and them running around when we put up the chickens at night. So far, we have gotten rid of 3 large, well fed rats. Yet we seem to still have more. I am mainly concerned about their ability to quickly proliferate, especially if well fed. I just ordered a large bucket of Brodifacoum poison as suggested by previous posters. Thanks for all the great information. It really helped me weigh my options.

i've read a great number of postings and haven't seen anything we haven't already tried. tonight when i went into the coop at dusk, TWO rats ran over my rubber shoes!!! we have a coop inside a run that has started to have holes dug from the outside under the hardware cloth giving rats access. our coop (10x15) has a cement floor but we keep the doors open at night for the ventilation. the rats are digging tunnels under the cement floor. we have tried the Tomcat trap box with a $35 tub of poison. nothing has gone into the trap. we have tried the spring cages - nothing has gone in to the cages. my husband now is thinking of sitting up in the dark and trying to shoot them. i don't think that will do anything much except put him and the girls in danger of ricocheting pellets.

i haven't tried the plaster of paris dessert i read about. maybe that will work.

this is my chicken village. if i cannot get rid of the rats, i may have to get rid of the chickens. not my first choice!!! i really am at my wits end.

I've not seen a rat or tunnels or pathways. BUT: something stole about 1/3 of my turkey eggs, a minumum of a chicken egg a day-sometimes up to 3 eggs a day (for the past month or more). Got into my brooder & took away 4 turkey poulets & killed & left behind 2 turkey poulets, 2 polish chicks & 1 6wk old Silky. Dug under & into my Silky coop, took & killed 2 1wk old baby Silkies. None of the adult chickens/turky have been bothered. Everything but rats have been eliminated as the predator.

I've just read all the posts and am still not sure what to try. I've used Live traps on Coons & 'Possums with good success. 22 rifle helps keep the foxes away. Don't know what to do about a predator I can't see. We have a large chicken house and nearly as large turkey house & a small Silky coop. A portion of a shed was made into a brooder.

We have a dog, a neighbors cat - wouldn't want to injure any of them (positive they are not the problem). I'm looking at the TomCat Mouse poisen, but since I don't know where the rats are or their runs or holes, I don't know where to put the poisen so at it doesn't get eaten by my chickens & turkey's.

I do lock all the fowls up at night.

Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom