Rats, rats EVERYWHERE! ☹️

Pics
That's not what others here say. They say to not have any feed around to starve them out. Now which is it. No feed = starvation. and moving on. Now you say that's not so. Why not quote your post?

If a rat proof feeder wastes food from the birds flicking it out, it's no good.
Well, I can’t “starve them out” completely without starving my birds to death along with them. My chickens are used to a hanging feeder I have, and the only birds that have a really BAD habit of kicking it out are my guineas. A rat proof feeder for my chicken coop is probably a great idea.

I was just wondering because I thought if you didn't have too many you could put them in your house or garage or somewhere rat proof, while you put traps and poison everywhere, so the chickens wouldn't eat it or step in them
Poison will ultimately give you more rats. Predators like hawks and owls eat a lot of rodents, when they eat poisoned rats it ends up killing them, which causes the rat population to increase.

Poison will ultimately give you more rats. Predators like hawks and owls eat a lot of rodents, when they eat poisoned rats it ends up killing them, which causes the rat population to increase.
So what do you suggest? Introduce more hawks and owls into the barnyard to rid the rats?

Well, I can’t “starve them out” completely without starving my birds to death along with them. My chickens are used to a hanging feeder I have, and the only birds that have a really BAD habit of kicking it out are my guineas. A rat proof feeder for my chicken coop is probably a great idea.
I hear your problem loud and clear. The weather here was awful last week so I kept my birds in the coop for 4 days. Rats seem to be less now. The way my doors close on the coop leaves a hole big enough for the rats to get in. So I plug it up with rocks. They can move the rocks and have started to chew on the threshold I believe that is pressure treated wood. Eventually they will chew a hole there and be able to get in. I don't want them to leave, they'll just come back. I want to eradicate them. As in dead.

My neighbor is a tree hugger. And she has skunks in on of her sheds. They are supposed to eat rats but they didn't this summer. They sniffed around the coop ( the rats are living under the coop) but they never attacked. There are two large feral Maine coon cats hanging around. I've watched them watch the rats. Never attacking.

Be careful I've said over and over the rats don't eat poison and have been shot down. As far a I know I have no birds of prey. I don't have large prey either because my neighbor has Bull Mastiff and a Great Dane. They are fenced but the coyotes and foxes don't come around.

Useless the rats can get into it or open the door. The one's with the door that opens out are easy peasy for the rats to get in. Just stand on their hind legs push the door open and feed away. A no waste feeder isn't in the cards that I can see.

The probability of a hawk eating a dead rat is slim. They prefer live prey and normally only resort to dead things when there are no other options. Plus, most rats die within 8-12 hours of ingesting poison and (or so I’ve read) try to find somewhere to hide while they die.

Useless the rats can get into it or open the door. The one's with the door that opens out are easy peasy for the rats to get in. Just stand on their hind legs push the door open and feed away. A no waste feeder isn't in the cards that I can see.
They can also get into a no waste feeder if that’s the case?

Back
Top Bottom