Rats Rats Rats! Please advise!

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
How do you get rid of rates in the coop?

We have a rat that built a nest in one of the nesting boxes. We destroyed the nest, but tonight when I went out to the coop after dark, there were 2 rats in the coop. What can we use to get rid of them and not hurt the chickens?

What are the rats eating? Whatever it is, you should move it to a secure location so that they don't have access to it.

Also a cat can't hurt!!

Buy BAIT TUBES... something only a rat can get into.

Place "Just One Bite" Rat poison in bait tube slathered in peanut butter near coop but away from where a dog could get it and chew on it.

Pick up dead rats and dispose of them.

Poison is very effective, but I worry about wildlife (or dogs) eating a poisoned rat.

Is your coop rat-proof when it is closed up at night? You should figure a rodent can get in if you have a space the size of a nickel. I've watched rats pull themselves through chicken wire... successfully sometimes, other times not (ugh). If you have holes, cover with hardware cloth or stuff with steel wool.

But, the daytime problem is still a struggle. With just one or two, the snap traps baited with peanut butter might work just fine for you.

(Some day, a super rat will evolve that is resistant to peanut butter.)

Back
Top Bottom