Rats

I noticed a while back that one of my quail's food containers -- the cage cup type that clips onto the side -- seemed to have been slightly chewed up.
Today a bit before 7 PM (still light out), I happened to look outside and see a mouse (I'm pretty sure it was a mouse) sniffing around underneath the quail cages. The mouse then climbed up the side of the cage (a Critter Nation cage) and started gnawing at the food cup. After spending a minute or two time climbing over the side and top of the cage, it left.
This is the 2nd or third time I've seen a mouse in that part of the yard during the day, though after dark I have seen multiple mice running along the fence. I like mice and think they are very cute, but I don't want them eating my quail's food container!View attachment 2332668
Can anyone tell me what kind of mouse it is? This one isn't the exact individual, but one of the same type that I found in my compost bin last month.
The destructive kind, I’d call it a field mouse, but thats not scientific

I found this link to be interesting information on mice facts. I despise those little destructive suckers! Once they have been in a vehicle it's almost impossible to get that smell out. :barnie

https://www.domyown.com/all-about-mice-c-21_579.html
I’ve made a few bucket traps, they work fantastically well, I always put a lid on mine and use RV antifreeze or washer fluid to protect my pets, keeps numbers way down in outbuildings, just gotta remember to empty them routinely, otherwise it can get pretty nasty.

We have always had rats in our duck run, but they never seem to bother the ducks much. They eat spilled and leftover food, and occasionally we have to fish one out of the pond and they have never been too much of a bother.

But now we have newly hatched ducklings. Are the rats a danger to the ducklings? Right now they are still enclosed in the nest box/doghouse with mom, but in the next day or so I plan to let them out. Our ducks all sleep outside wherever they please. The pen is not predator-proof, but we have three dogs and have not seen any predator animals in the yard for years because the dogs are very vigilent. But the big grey rats are EVERYWHERE......

Would a rat harm the ducklings? Should I lock them all up at night, or will the mother duck lead them back to the nest at night?

Back
Top Bottom