RATS?!

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
I have this upturned water container for my chooks in their run for shelter. Noticed large entry and exit holes underneath it on the dirt it sits on and also a lot of dirt pushed out from underneath. Thinking it is rats. How do I get rid of them? I plan on setting up chicken wire around the water container and seeing if they come out and I can catch them. Or, using a trap... I do have one.

Hopefully traps will work for you. I had an infested coop and when I renovated the coop dozens of rats of all sizes poured out. I had noticed tunnels around the coops. The rats had nests in the ceiling and walls in the coop I renovated. I tried several different things but still had a lot of rats so I resorted to poison. I'm not advocating using poison only that it worked for me. I bought some rat bait stations and placed them where nothing but the rats could get to them. The rats weren't fond of the bait that came with the bait stations so I bought some other bait and they seemed to like it much better. I did not find any dead rats laying around and checked the bait boxes daily. There is a little window above the baits in the bait stations I bought so I could check it regularly. I think the rats went into their tunnels and died and that is why I didn't find any dead rats or critters from eating any dead rats laying around. If the bait stations are placed in places where nothing but the rats can get to there should be no problems. You can also place the bait stations in a pet carrier so only the rats can get to them. There is a partition down the middle inside the bait stations that the rats have to go around to get to the bait so they don't bring the bait out of the bait stations. Good luck with whatever you do...

Attachments

• PetCarrier.jpg
    PetCarrier.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RatBaitA.jpg
    RatBaitA.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • RatBaitStationRev.jpg
    RatBaitStationRev.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
Hopefully traps will work for you. I had an infested coop and when I renovated the coop dozens of rats of all sizes poured out. I had noticed tunnels around the coops. The rats had nests in the ceiling and walls in the coop I renovated. I tried several different things but still had a lot of rats so I resorted to poison. I'm not advocating using poison only that it worked for me. I bought some rat bait stations and placed them where nothing but the rats could get to them. The rats weren't fond of the bait that came with the bait stations so I bought some other bait and they seemed to like it much better. I did not find any dead rats laying around and checked the bait boxes daily. There is a little window above the baits in the bait stations I bought so I could check it regularly. I think the rats went into their tunnels and died and that is why I didn't find any dead rats or critters from eating any dead rats laying around. If the bait stations are placed in places where nothing but the rats can get to there should be no problems. You can also place the bait stations in a pet carrier so only the rats can get to them. There is a partition down the middle inside the bait stations that the rats have to go around to get to the bait so they don't bring the bait out of the bait stations. Good luck with whatever you do...
See today, my dad fenced off the area with the tunnels, lifted off the water container with a shovel handy.....and......nothing? Just a hollowed out area underneath and tunnels out. No other tunnels down or any animals?!?!? We are setting a trap tomorrow with ham in it :]

I had the same thing happen to me with a hanging round feeder that I had set on the ground due to some new chicks I was introducing to the flock. The rats have dug out a hide hole for when they hear someone coming. I lifted the feeder one day after noticing how terrified the chicks were and a basketball sized ball of rats boiled out and ran over my feet headed for the tunnels and cracks.

You have some good treadle feeders available in the UK. Pick one with an inward swinging door, not the guillotine style overhead lid. Get a treadle feeder and the rats will leave and you will also stop any wild birds from stealing feed.

Back
Top Bottom