Rattlesnake, not one but two

Yeah, we have the green's here too ... Tend to be smaller then the western diamond back, more of a yellow/green color ... But more aggressive than the more common western diamond back, or coon tails! Were about 4,300 feet in elevation ...

A paste of activated charcoal applied to the bite is supposed to draw/absorb the venom if applied soon ... Never managed to get bitten by one ... Hope to keep it that way!

A rat terrier will take care of the extra pack rats!

Kudos to your doctor for doing the research. We have timber rattlers around us in our timber. They blend in perfectly with leaf fall. Can you find the timber rattler in this picture?

We also have cotton mouth water moccasins. When we go into the timber we always carry a weapon. Rattlers and water moccasins are the least of our worries. We also have mountain lions and coyotes to deal with. No bears, not yet.

We have never seen a rattler on our property. That doesn't mean there isn't one there.

Glad the OP and her spouse didn't get bit.

OOPS. The first pic is find the copperhead in the timber.

This pic is find the baby rattler in the timber:

Last edited:
Back around 1964-65 my brother and I caught a rattlesnake crossing the road at night in the Tucson mountains when we were in high school. I went to Sunnyside High in south Tucson for you AZ residents. We were going to put it in a jar of formaldehyde to preserve it. So anyway we get this 3-4' rattler home in a box of some sort and tell our father our plans. He is okay with that, but says he needs to put it in a glass jar for us so we can put it in the freezer so it will coil up and die humanely. So he pinned the rattler down and grabbed it with his fingers behind the head. Somehow the rattler managed to un-hinge his jaw and hooked a fang into my father's finger. He went ahead and put the snake in the jar and closed the top. My brother cut the bite with a knife and tried sucking out the poison, but I doubt it helped much. We took him to the emergency room and I can't remember exactly what they used to treat him but he spent a couple of nights in the hospital, his arm swelled up huge and he had to miss over a month from work. Fortunately he made a full recovery. I'm not sure exactly what type of rattler it was or even what happened to it and the jar of formaldehyde it was in, but I learned a valuable lesson about not mucking with rattlers. And that's the truth.

In California?
Hi Leaf, Yeah.
hide.gif
My Pops lived in Lucerne/Apple Valley. He worked on the freeways out here for50 years. Tons of Mojavies. Lots out near Cajon Pass, Whitewater and Palm Springs. He raised all kinds of birds and chickens always carried a gun.
Quote:
This has a map where they located explains why i never seen one i lived in east texas and south never west.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C_scutulatus_range.jpg
hide.gif
I'm in the blue area...I've ridden horses all over So Cal. I've heard and seen lots of rattlers, we carry horse snake bite kits. We had a few a day come in at Animal Control, but I don't think I could tell the difference in the species.

Back around 1964-65 my brother and I caught a rattlesnake crossing the road at night in the Tucson mountains when we were in high school. I went to Sunnyside High in south Tucson for you AZ residents. We were going to put it in a jar of formaldehyde to preserve it. So anyway we get this 3-4' rattler home in a box of some sort and tell our father our plans. He is okay with that, but says he needs to put it in a glass jar for us so we can put it in the freezer so it will coil up and die humanely. So he pinned the rattler down and grabbed it with his fingers behind the head. Somehow the rattler managed to un-hinge his jaw and hooked a fang into my father's finger. He went ahead and put the snake in the jar and closed the top. My brother cut the bite with a knife and tried sucking out the poison, but I doubt it helped much. We took him to the emergency room and I can't remember exactly what they used to treat him but he spent a couple of nights in the hospital, his arm swelled up huge and he had to miss over a month from work. Fortunately he made a full recovery. I'm not sure exactly what type of rattler it was or even what happened to it and the jar of formaldehyde it was in, but I learned a valuable lesson about not mucking with rattlers. And that's the truth.
Yikes! How did you not get bit? It probably could have killed you! Some ding-bat here locally tried to take a selfie with one a couple weeks ago. He was a BIG dude. Spent a week in the hospital and lost his thumb.

From my understanding mojave green have a different color greenish/yellowish and their diamond markings end well before the tail as to were a diamond backs goes all the way to the rattler. We have seven species of venomous snakes. Texas coral snake which is really pretty, broad vanded copperhead, western cotton mouth, timber rattler, western pygmy rattler, and of course the western diamond back rattle snake. On our property i have seen the cotton mouth(water moccasin) and the diamond back. I bought a local snake book and have studie the pictures so i can identify them at a glance so i know when i need to shoot and when i dont. I have a two year old who so far is afraid of snakes so that works out well.

Back
Top Bottom