Rattling breath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenGirl 19, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    I have a barred rock hen of just over a year old. She used to be friendly, but she's turned really nasty recently, although I guess that's besides the point.

A few days ago I had picked her up and held her upside down between my knees as she had a mild case of bumble foot and I was checking on it. When I flipped her back over I noticed she had a rattling, watery breathing sound that I didn't notice before, and she sneezed a few times. I think her comb may have been darker too, but it might have been a trick of the light. I thought it might have just been because of stress, but I wasn't sure and brought her up to the deck in a rabbit cage.

The whole time she seemed to be doing fine from what I could tell, so I thought it was just the stress or something and brought her for a bath (she spilt her food and water a lot.) before letting her with the flock. I didn't end up letting her go because after her bath when I was checking her feet again she had the same really rattling and watery breath. Her comb seemed darker too and I noticed a bit of dried mucous around her nostrils. I brought her back to the deck.

Now when she is with the flock, she is by far the lowest on the pecking order barring the chicks, which I had half a mind to cage her for a while she seems to hate them so much. Anyways, she usually gets pecked the moment she goes by any of the other chickens except for one of the EEs and I've seen her be chased too and from the coop when there are chickens outside the door and in the nest. She stresses a lot, especially when things like that happen. I could see her breathing hard, as in her neck expanding from the air. Among the people, she hates is and attacks our hands if they go anywhere near her. She'll grip of to some part of us, raise her hackles and jump at us with her feet.

I'm not sure if any of that helped, but does anyone know what's wrong with her? If it just stress, or her being held upside down or something?

Thanks.

2. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Anyone?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    When you held her upside down she mustve had liquid in her crop and it may have somehow got into her windpipe causing the rattling/watery breathing you described. When her comb darkened, it could be a lack of oxygen to her head. The liquid she regurgitated went through nostrils. This is similar to a human swallowing water and ending up going down the windpipe rather than the esophagus; we experience shortness of breath, spitting up water and sometimes running out our nose, coughing, sucking air trying breathe...same thing in your hen.
    If the liquid got into her lungs or air sacs, it's possible pneumonia may set in and antibiotics will be required. Time will tell.

4. Roy Carlsen

Roy Carlsen Hatching

Nov 30, 2012
    If it is pneumonia, how do you treat it? I have a chicken about 2 years old that I noticed was acting strange this morning and let me pick her up. That is rare, and I turned her upside down and about 2 cups of clear fluid drained out of her mouth/nostrils. I think she has pneumonia! Any help?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by