Raven

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Over the weekend we had a Raven hanign around circling the property and generally making a racket. This morning the ducks are in the enclosure I uses in summer which is on the side of the property where the Raven was hanging out. The raven is going from one tree to the other near the duck pen back and forth back and forth. I assume he/she has territory or next in the area, but not sure it ravens can be a danger to ducks or not. Anyone know if ravens are a danger? Have only seen the one bird, but I have to believe there is a nest in the area that is causing the behavior - or is he/she likely after duck food? Anyone know anything about ravens?

We have them here and they don't bother my birds. The ducks and geese always check them out when they are flying overhead but they don't seem to concerned. The ravens only land in the garden when my birds aren't out. I don't think the ravens trust my geese or ducks as I never have seen them near each other.

I do know ravens and crows will chase off hawks, quite handily if they have a nest nearby, have never seen one attack a duck, so it may be to your benefit that it is hanging around if there are other aerial predators about.

Last edited:
I actually feed the ones here, and they go crazy when the hawk comes. I've had issues with hawks lately.

But if I hear them go nutty, sure enough.. there's the hawk.

We actually watched a raven steal three duck eggs, one after the other -- it was impressive but now we try to get them picked up more quickly! An eagle actually dove on it once, and it dropped the egg. Now I know why eggshells showed up in our fields. It was neat to watch though . . . I have heard that they will take ducklings if they can get at them.

If only I'd been able to take pictures!

Ducks and duckling issues I would have expected, just was concerned about the adult ducks. I have no eggs or duckling where they could get to them. Thanks for the input everyone.

Ravens are opportunistic omnivores, curious and smart, but cautious. Ducklings and eggs I would worry about if the ravens are able to get to them, but adults should be left alone. In the wild ravens will steal eggs/young from the nests of other birds, and will sometimes kill small animals (frogs, snakes, rodents) but for the most part they are scavengers and can indeed be a very handy alarm system for a more serious predator.

Back
Top Bottom