Raw Dough and Chickens

obeloinkment

Chirping
Aug 3, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Of course I post this AFTER I fed it to the ladies, but they haven't skipped a beat from it.

I've read that you shouldn't feed chickens uncooked pasta, but I'm assuming this means hard pasta? Last night I made Pierogi (the dough is simply flour, egg, water) and when I was done rolling them up, I had a little ball of dough leftover. We took it to the chickens and they were just about knocking us over, performing stunning vertical leaps for a peck at it. It is the most voracious i've seen them. Any reason not to feed them this raw dough? If not, I found their new favorite treat.

Update: I now believe this to be dangerous food. Yesterday we again took the chickens a small ball of leftover dough. They were jumping waist high trying to steal it from us and when we were on the ground trying to divide the dough. They surrounded us... I felt like the dough was preparing them for soft skin and that we were about to be eaten. It turns them into MONSTERS!

Have baby chicks of about 3-4 days old. I have been feeding them wheat dough and they seem to enjoy it. From above discussion I feel its quite safe to feed wheat dough to baby chicks.

Can someone guide please?

Have baby chicks of about 3-4 days old. I have been feeding them wheat dough and they seem to enjoy it. From above discussion I feel its quite safe to feed wheat dough to baby chicks.

Can someone guide please?
just at a few days old, they are so small, that any treats are taking away from the very important vitamin/mineral /protein balance in their feed. Wait until they are at least 2 weeks old... and then you can start giving them SMALL amounts of treats.

Back
Top Bottom