Raw eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crj, Dec 14, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hello Peeps,

I have a question. A woman called and asked me if I sold eggs. I told her yes and asked me if you can eat them raw. I'm thinking to myself......... I wouldn't eat raw eggs. I've had the fear of god put into me about not eating uncooked eggs. I told the woman that I wouldn't eat them raw, meanwhile, I'm thinking she has an exercise nut in the house. Ends up she wants to make egg nog and her recipe calls for raw eggs. What is your thought about that? I didn't know how to answer the woman. She asked if my birds were sick and I told her no, that they were very healthy and she figured it would be fine. I don't know if she is going to buy any but I thought it was a rather strange question. Healthy birds or not I really don't think I would have anything with a raw egg other then cookie dough that is getting ready to be cooked. Ok, the occasional cake batter. What do I tell the lady if she calls againg?

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Well, if your birds free range, they are almost certainly healthier than industrial birds, which makes for cleaner eggs. That said, ANY chicken can carry salmonella. One salmonella organism isn't enough to make you sick, but lots of them coupled with a weak immune system doesn't bode well.

I would sell to her, but maybe type up a disclaimer about raw egg safety and have her sign it, to give you some protection legally. Everyone has to assume the risk for their own choices, but absolutely all food carries some risk, as well.

I don't hesitate to eat undercooked eggs from my flock. Actually, I like cookie dough better than the baked cookies [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would be worried about the liability involved. Chances are that she isn't going to get sick from eating your raw eggs, but what if she does? If you guaranteed her that she wouldn't get ill from your eggs and she does, could you be sued for it? Reported to the health department?

I don't know that I would sell eggs to a stranger and assure them that they wouldn't get salmonella from eating the eggs raw. I would perhaps tell her that she needs to be responsible for her own health and that you are unaware of any illnesses in your flock, but that you can't absolutely guarantee anything.

I use eggs raw from my flock to make certain things (salad dressings) and I have friends that I give/sell eggs to who also use them raw, but these are people I know. I'd feel differently about a stranger.

Good luck.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    You both have very good points. Things I had never thought about. I don't no if she will buy any but I'm glad I asked. Thank you for your input it was very helpful. Good to know these things in the future. Just in case.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:LOL!! I admit -- I make batches of cookie dough JUST to eat the dough! [​IMG]

We rarely have fresh cookies around our house!! I've been eating raw cookie dough, cake batter, pumpkin pie filline (all from scratch with, gasp, RAW EGGS) for 50 years and I've never gotten sick once. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's okay if your the one doing it from your own raw eggs but it's a little different if it's someone else doing it with your raw eggs, I love raw cookie dough yum:p

7. dottie1111

dottie1111 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    california
    I was also asked that Question regarding eating the raw eggs. I advised not to due that even though my chckens are not ill you never know how someone will react to a raw egg.

8. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I think I would tell her that she takes the same risk with "fresh" raw eggs as she does from store-bought ones and you can't make any promises.

We made eggnog with my chickens' eggs a few days ago. I was completely grossed out/creeped out by it the whole time. [​IMG] But it was delicious, and none of us got sick.

9. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I was worried about it last year, and ended up finding a recipe for cooked eggnog. It was delicious and I wasn't nervous about serving it to youngsters or my aged parents...If I was going to drink it myself- I wouldn't think twice about it.

10. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Could you find that recipe and share it with us? I'd love to have an eggnog recipe like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by