raw food for dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ninny, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Im thinking of feeding my two old bichon frises raw. Where can i find info on how much and other questions?

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    There are many places.
    My favorite is Rawdogranch.com Laurie is great and she feeds multiple size dogs.
    I also like the book Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats. It helps to break it down a little and get you started.
    I would not pay for somebody else to set up a menu for your dogs. Waste of money in my opinion.
    Decide whether or not you will be feeding your dogs veggies. Some people do and some don't.
    Scope out where you will get Vit C and Vit E from. We bought in bulk from a whole foods store. We also used kelp and alfalfa powder along with Grizzly salmon oil.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
  4. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Dog food chat is where I learned everything. They have several folks on the raw feeding board who are experts, been feeding raw many years. Its the most informative I have found. They literaly talked me through the start, and gave me all kinds of encouragement. I still go there and still learn more just about everytime. Theres been questions asked I never thaught of.

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    I have been feeding our dogs raw since they were pups. (over a year) Would never consider feeding them bagged dog food again except maybe Taste of the Wild.
    I feed a 4-1-1 meat to veggie glop and pumpkin.

I get 100lb of beef for $1.15/lb and chicken for $1.40/lb. Then I mix those half and half add veggies and pumpkin. They are happy and healthy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Cargo, I hope you are making some provision for bone if you are feeding boneless meat. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Boneless meat MUST be balanced with the appropriate minerals, or you will end up with a messed up Calcium/Phosphorus ratio, and this is very serious.

I use a supplement called KA Calcium from Nature's Farmacy to balance the boneless meat I feed.

7. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    thanks! i will be checking out those sites.

8. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Cargo, I hope you are making some provision for bone if you are feeding boneless meat. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Boneless meat MUST be balanced with the appropriate minerals, or you will end up with a messed up Calcium/Phosphorus ratio, and this is very serious.

The chicken is ground chicken backs so lots of bone and cartilage.​

9. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Quote:And organs as well. They are also essential to a raw diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by