Raw Neck and Magpies

Leggo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
Hi, I've been having trouble with my ducks. I've just the pair, one female and one male(which was sold to me as a female..). The male is mating with the female but when he does, he bites the back of her neck and now her feathers seem to be dissapearing from there. Is this natural/okay? I'd have to have to get rid of my male if he is abusing her..

Also, are there any tips on how to keep the magpies from destroying the eggs? I'd have to have to kill or trap the magpies just to stop them from getting at the eggs(I found magpie traps while researching this earlier).. I don't think I'd have the heart to do it.

So basically, is there some sort of 'cream' that I can get to stop the male duck from biting the back of the neck of the female duck, if I was to apply it on there.. And is there any way to stop magpies from destroying the eggs.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure about the magpies, but if the drake is overbreeding or being too rough on your gal, you can buy (or make?) a poultry saddle for her to help protect her from bites and scratches, and/or get another female duck. Breeding health-wise, they do best if the drake "has" more than one female. Or yes, find him a new home, but you would still need another duck for your female; they are flock animals and get lonely by themselves. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom