Raw oats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gazinga, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

ok, so feed the chickens oats? Can i just use plain old raw oats. Just buy human food oats form the grocery store and throw em to the girls or do they need to be prepared some way or are they some type of "feed oats"

2. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    regular oats, as in oatmeal works fine with my flock. They like it dry and prepared. I make it with a bit of yogurt sometimes on a cold morning and they just love the treat. I also use it as a medication/electrolyte delivery system (prepared oats with yogurt), that way I can be sure everyone has gotten some and don't have to wait around to change water.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

if you are feeding oats, you should also feed grit to help digest them. I would buy whole or crimped oats from the feed store. However you should also be supplementing with another ingredient for extra protein. Straight oats isn't nutritionally sufficient.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I feed mine just plain old feed oats. They also like dry uncooked oatmeal...but mine only get that as a special treat.

ETA: They get that as a treat....that's not all they get.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

yeah, i was just thinking of oats as a treat, not as primary diet

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    The only reason I can see to buy oats at the fedstore is that is may be significantly cheaper per pound than people oatmeal. Then again, you have a whole bag to store. Our feedstore will break down bigger bags of feed into 5 pound bags on request, which is probably juust a few bucks for a lot of oats!

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Chickens can eat whole grains of all types without needing to mill them. Right now, I just open the flap on my combine (the hopper is full of rye) and pour it on the ground for them. I then have a feeder properly mixed with minerals and seed meal.

I find, however, that rolled oats are more popular and available (for horse people), and the chickens eat them just as well.

A third option is plant oats in a forage patch for them. They'll eat them right off the stems meaning 0 harvesting labor for yourself. You'd be shocked at how much a 100'x100' patch of oats (or any grain) produces.

8. momdrinkstea

momdrinkstea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Any tips on supplementing protein in the feed?
    What do you add to up the nutritional value?
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by