Raw Rice and Rice grains in feed

How timely for me. I just came here to ask this.

I have about 20 lbs of dirty, uncooked, long grain rice that was in my ferrets dig box. Instead of just throwing it away, I can give it to the chickens, in small amounts, mixed with their regular scratch grains.

Correct?

Quote:
I don't know what a ferret dig box is, exactly (playpen?). I might wash it before feeding to chickens, but then again chickens eat poo. To answer your question: Yes it's OK to give to your chickens.

Imp

Quote:
It's a rubber maid box that they climb into and dig in. Dirty = ferret hair and dander.

It doesn't matter anyhow. I threw some rice out for them to scratch at and they looked at me like - What the heck is this?
It's still sitting out on the ground.
I guess they prefer bugs & snails to rice.
smile.png

Chickens, what ya gonna do?

Okay, I have to weigh in here! We are rice farmers. We run a rice drying/storage facility so there is also a lot of rice by-product here. So my chickens get rice hulls as bedding but there is some rice still in it. They eat up all of the left over rice that is in it in two days! We also have "trash" rice which is rice that ends up on the ground and can't be salvaged. It is only dried, but not otherwise processed so it has the hulls and everything. They get that too. I haven't seen one blow up yet. Also I feed them leftover cooked rice from dinner. So basically they can eat all rice in any shape or form
tongue.png

We live in rice country here in southeast Arkansas too. You can go down to the river to the grain elevator where they load dried rice on to the barges. There's frequently a spill or two you can shovel up. I have several garbage cans full of it. I have to slap my hands to keep me from throwing out too much cuz they love it!

I always feed my chickens the left overs when I cook rice but never fed them raw rice because of the stories that I heard. But then I noticed grains of rice in a bag of chicken feed that I was given and I started to wonder about the rice. Sounds like it's working for many of you and you have been feeding your chickens rice for a while and no ill effects. That's good to know.

Quote:
Exactly. ALL grains swell when soaked in water but other grains are routinely fed to birds. It amazes me that so many myths like this are passed along whenall you need to do is think about them to realize they're nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom