Raw rooster

PaigesPearls

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Hello everyone, I am a new chicken mama as of last Spring..we took in a rooster late summer and he was pitiful. Half of his feathers gone, very timid because he was being picked on by other roosters at the previous farm. Fast forward a couple months, all of his feathers grew back, seemingly healthy, but he keeps a raw spot on his chest and his legs as well. I've looked for mites, lice, etc. and there appears to be no infestation. We also have 12 hens that have 0 problems with parasites, all healthy, all laying daily. I've soaked his legs in Epsom salts a couple times and they did appear a little better but the redness came back. Can someone please help/suggest a treatment or diagnosis for my guy? Thank you!!

Any pictures? It could be that he or another chicken is pulling out his feathers. I would watch to see what is going on. Sometimes they will do this sort of thing while on the roost before settling down. Nustock horse cream might be a good thing to try, since it tastes bad, but has healing properties, and is good for fungal or tiny insects.

Thank you for your response, I will definitely try that.. 20221128_104240.jpg Sending best pic I could get..

Back
Top Bottom