Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinager

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmer Kitty, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have seen many uses for Apple Cider Vinager listed here on BYC. What I'm wondering is can you list them into this post so that those of us not as familiar with it can learn more about it.

I know some use it as a worm preventative.

I know that some use it to help sick birds but, don't know why. What does it do for them?

What other uses are there with our birds?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* It's been shown to boost calcium absorption from feed & treats-- that makes for nice eggs. That's about all I know for sure. It can be taken in water by people to help prevent osteoporosis for the same reason.

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
  4. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
  5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Great link!
    I wonder why your not suppose to use it in metal dishes? Is it because of the acidity maybe?

Edited to say: Great links! I wonder if I can get my DH to take some. It sounds like something he could benefit from.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  6. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I'm not sure, but thankfully I read about it before purchasing my first waterer! [​IMG]

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Put into a glass of water: 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, my mom's side of the family swears by it.

gulfcajun 1 likes this.
  8. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    TexasStar wrote:

Put into a glass of water: 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, my mom's side of the family swears by it.

It might taste better in a glass of apple juice. Some folks can't stand the taste of it! It comes in gel caps at health food stores I think.​

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Organic unfiltered ACV helps with pasty bums, too. A TBSP to a quart waterer for a few days. And you don't want to put it in metal waterers due to the acidity.

BayDog1 likes this.
  10. shumankanucchick

shumankanucchick New Egg

Mar 26, 2008
    Hi!
    The icidity(sp?!) in the vinegar can corrode metal so it can contaminate the water. There is a great article in backyard poultry april/may 2008 on the benefits of apple cider vinegar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by