Raw vegtable scraps from kitchen = Treats?

mark1guy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Newfoundland
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the thought was on feeding vegtable peals and residual lettuce/greens. During the spring, summer and early fall I will let the hens roam during the weekends when I am in the yard. This allows them to eat what they choose.. I have been reading a bunch of blogs and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are. Some people consider these veggies as treats. Is this really the case? I figured vegtable scraps would be good for them.

I live in Newfoundland, Canada and there are no greens/pasture available for a good portion of the year. Rather than throw the vegtable scraps in the compost pile I was looking at providing it to the hens as they seem fit. All mash and pellets will be available as desired. Fortunatly we don;t have need as many predators here as compared to the mainland.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There is a chicken treat chart on here. Search it (not smart enough to do the link on here) Or someone may do it for you. My chicken eats EVERYTHING!! I do know that raw potato peelings, citrus fruits and avocados are not goof ro them as well as chocolate. There is never any chocolate to give anyway.
wink.png
I save all grease then melt it down and put in veggie/friut scraps, old bread, garlic, etc. I'll let it cool and set up again. Then feed it to the chickens. They love it!

Treats are not necessarily bad, even in larger quantities. Greens of all sorts are definitely good for them, especially in the winter! They are very low calorie, so they don't provide "empty carbs", but do have vitamins and other goodies. The treats you need to watch out for are too much scratch, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc...These are not very nutritious and fill them up with empty carbohydrates. Too much fruit could also be deleterious.

I think they need some greens in the winter, my chickens LOVE peas. 4grams of protein too! I give them lots of veggies and meat scraps as well. they also love those seed cakes you buy for the birds,some times they eat 2 a week....11 hens 2 roosters. some one on here said they read apples will make them stop laying. don't know how much or how little, something to watch I guess. and yes feed is always available. Sun flower seeds are good to
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom