Raw wing tips and mites (or lice)

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
I brought one of my birds in today to inspect her well under the light, the very tips of her wings were a little raw on both sides. I also saw some little bugs crawling around when I extended her wings. They were a light brownish color and very small.

Is there anything I can do for her wing tips and does this sound normal? Do the bugs sound like lice or mites? I don't have access to DE right now, but hope to have some soon. Is there any other (safe) treatment for these types of parasites?

Her wing tips could be raw from her biting at those chicken lice. Neosporin always works wonders on my chickens...and as far as getting rid of the lice, I get Sevin(yes, spelled that way) in powder form. You can buy this at Wal-mart at the Lawn and Garden section for under $5. I always keep it handy and dust my chickens if I ever find lice. I just sprinkle a little in a bucket, carefully set them in and dust them over(try not to get in eyes), and get under the wings and chest and nape of neck as that is where they like to be. This stuff works wonders and isn't toxic! Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I think I may dust them all this weekend if I'm able and can convince my husband to help.
tongue.png

How many treatments should it take? I wonder if it would be easier to do at night when they're all a little sleepy.

Should I treat my hens also (who are housed separately but came from the same place?) Could this be causing the ragged tail feathers I noticed on one of my pullets?

I'll pick up some Neosporin and Sevin tomorrow!

Mites and hen lice are tricky to get rid of because of their life cycle which is like 21 or 28 days can't rember exactly maybe someone can elaborate. My vet told me to treat once wait 2 weeks treat again then wait for results, for some reason the lice eggs are not affected by dusting as much as the mature lice that are laying the eggs. So if you only dust once some eggs remain alive. Hope this helps someone, it works 4 me.
big_smile.png

So I should basically dust every two weeks until I no longer see them? What about the coops? I use lots of Stall Dry already, but do I need to do a complete clean out and disinfect every two weeks as I treat?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom