Re: Blue Orpington Egg Orders from Speckledhen

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Hi, all!
Over the last few months, many of you have put your name on my hatching egg order schedule and I have confirmed the dates with many of you. If you don't remember when you are on the schedule or you want to cancel/change the order, etc, please email me to let me know so I can move someone else into your spot or try to work out something different with you. Please include your full name because, although I have most screen names written down by your name, I may not have them all.

Right now, I have orders stretching every week into the first week of June. I will not be taking anymore orders into summer, at least for now. Since I have no idea how my girls will lay this winter (plus I only have the two laying) or how many orders I'll have to bump back a week or more due to them slacking off in the worst of cold weather, leaving the summer open gives me room to do that.

Also, I believe I have contacted everyone who is on the schedule who wanted part of their order or the entire order of Ameraucana eggs. If for some reason, you did not get the email, this is to let you know that I will not be able to provide Ameraucana eggs after the end of January because I am selling my main breeders. As of Feb 2008, I will only be selling Blue Orps and Barred Rocks. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience, but this is just one of those hard decisions in poultry-keeping. Thanks so much! Have a great holiday!

I have a black Ameraucana with white cheeks from you, I guess from Charlotte. She was born Thanksgiving, and she has decided that I am her best friend. She is real sweet, and has to taste everything on my hand including my hand! I named her Valerie (from the Monkees), she just looked like a Valerie to me! Karen

A question for you Cyn, how long do I collect eggs and where do I store them before putting them into the incubator? thanks,
Carrie

You can collect eggs for up to two weeks and if properly stored between 50-65 degrees, aircell end up, tilted once daily, you should get a hatch. Optimal time for storage, however, is less than a week. The fresher the better, naturally, but I've read up on this and although hatchability goes down slightly after the one week point, it doesn't go down significantly till after two weeks. I store mine in the bsmt and in the summer, if the bsmt is too hot, I use a cooler with those blue ice pack things and place them in that, changing out the packs once a day. They also say that optimal humidity for storage is around 70% and my bsmt is slightly humid, so it works out well.
Before you put them in the bator, however, let them come up to room temps so you don't get condensation on the eggs when placed in a 100 degree environment.

Put me on the list if anyone cancels between now and June.
wink.png

I have just given in to the hatching addiction there is no stopping it, I have a full bator now and I have more orps coming from Julie in January (or febuary can't remember).

Corey, didn't I just see you post that you'd be downsizing your flock because of your beautiful new mare? That lasted, what, two hours? You know you can't have fewer chickens, no matter what other interests you have!
wink.png
I'll let you know if I have a slot open up.

I can hatch and downsize at the same time.

smile.png
....:|....
lol.png

Ya right
he.gif

I have a problem
jumpy.gif

I have a broody hen and she doesn't have any eggs under her, I am very proud of myself.
big_smile.png

Hey, I'd better talk to myself, hadn't I? I sold three pullets to rooster-red after that hellacious summer about did me in and I am going to sell Scout and Silver at the end of January, but I am hatching more right now and will be hatching in April, too. I tell myself it's to keep up with my egg customers who buy six dozen at a time plus I just acquired a new customer today. See? I need these chickens! I just pray this next summer is nothing like the last one.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom