Re: BO's Eggs

beach livin'

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Manteo
How large is a typical BO egg? My first two were rather small, which I expected they would be. How long does it ake before I may start seeing larger eggs?

In my experience, the pullet eggs were rather small but gradually gained in size over time. I couldn't really tell you how long it took, but it was a little while, as I recall.

Mine just started laying a week ago and have noticed they are gradually getting a little larger, compared to the 1st egg.
clap.gif

I'm getting the same thing. I ask the same question and was told I should have done some investigation before I got the BOs. I did and read all about what good layer they were. I still don't understand the small eggs. When the wife makes egg salad she uses 5 eggs. With those she uses 7 to get the same amount. They are three of the largest hens with the three smallest eggs. One of them is sitting on 5 of their eggs now. If they hatch, the chicks won't be taller than an inch judging by the eggs size.
smile.png

My BO produce large eggs, I haven't weighed them but I don't notice any difference between the Delaware & the BO eggs. The eggs that were really small were ones that my RIR laid. BOs can get very broody even when not hatching chicks, I had to keep mine off the nest as they were trying to hatch unfertile eggs. It took about 3 weeks for her to figure out they weren't going to hatch, even though I was taking them each day.

My BOs laid nice, big eggs. But I do remember how small their first eggs were. I was looking at these huge chickens like "what the....." they gain some size once they get into the swing of things!

Back
Top Bottom