Re-enforcing Fence and run???

Murphy212

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Like so many of you, I am now finishing work on my coop and run and re-enforcing the fencing to the run. Was wondering if using the smaller hex chicken wire for the apron along the fence would be as effective as using the more expensive hardware cloth? My fence is welded wire with the lower 3 ft to be re-enforced with hardware cloth. My plan is to lay a 2 foot apron on the ground outside the fence to deter digging, but as usual with too much second guessing, I am thinking that the chicken wire might work and cost me less money the run is 24' x 12' and that is a lot of fencing to be enforced.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Also,any ideas of how to re-enforce the area under the gate? It is a swing out wood framed gate and currently has about a 3" gap under it. Not sure how to close that gap and still be able to swing open the gate. Pile with dirt and bricks? Pavers?
Thanks to all who post and answer on this forum, I have learned so much and truly appreciate all the knowledge.
Murphy

I doubt that chicken wire would be suitable for the apron portion of the fence to prevent digging. Many animals can tear through it. I used an apron of 2 x 4 inch welded wire and attached it to the bottom of the fence. I have watched my daughter's dog try to get through it to get a treat we tossed to the chickens. After a few minutes of frustration in a single spot, he stopped altogether and left.

As far as the door is concerned, ours swings out. That way no chickens can block you trying to open it. They will stand all bunched up at the door when you come to open it, once they learn that it will open. If it opens out, you can open the door and step in.

I laid a section of the welded wire in the doorway in the same manner as you would place a doormat. If you have a gap, placing bricks or stones to block it from the inside would keep it secure. I have a small gap. A line of red bricks solved the problem for me.

Chris

I'd just use the hardware cloth. I'm going to run 3 ft up the fence and 1 ft around the bottom with rail road ties placed on top. One side of my chicken run will be my garage wall, 2 sides will be my dog fence and the other will have to be created. The last wall is the only one I'm really worried about. I have a vicious beagle that keeps her yard free of critters lol

Thanks for the replies....I do have leftover welded wire and will use it for the apron.
Chris thanks for the door ideas. Mine does swing out and putting some wire in/under edge like a doormat is the perfect solution. Can fill the gap with cement blocks. I want to be able to access the run with my wheelbarrow if necessary. How did you attach the apron to the fence? wire clips? zip ties? something else?
SobbaChickens, thanks anyway but wanted to avoid the extra expense for hardware cloth if something else would work...I have a lot of fence footage to re-enforce.
Murphy

I often leave the wires sticking out on 2x4 welded wire when I cut it so I can use those to wrap around and connect to another section...might work for you or jclips are pretty easy if you have them. zip ties will work too if they are the UV protected ones.

Back
Top Bottom