RE: HELP.........Still working with splayed leg on chick

ChickNLittle

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Folkston, Georgia
I tried the band aid method to try to "fix" my chickens leg. She/he has only one leg splayed out. She is 3 days old. Earlier today I put the band aid on the chicks legs. I checked on her about 20 minutes later and she was face down in the saucer of water and the band aid was off her legs. I thought for sure she drowned. But she was still breathing and moving a little bit so it must have just happened. Thank God! Anyway, I still have some eggs in the bator and she was soaked. I didnt know whether she would survive or not. But I dried her off the best I could, and I put her in the Bator for about an hour and a half. She was fine, and dried off good. I put her back in the brooder with the other little chicks. But I didn't put the band aid back on her. Maybe I am putting the band aid on wrong. Someone sent me pictures and I tried to do it the way it showed. But I am afraid to try it again for fear she might end up in the water saucer again. Thank god it was only a small saucer of water. Thats what probably saved her. So does anyone have any idea what I might have done wrong with the "band-aid" method. Did I maybe put it on too tight or something?

Only 3 days old? Do you still have the paper down in your brooder? I tried the band-aid method and had the same results- mine would fall down and not be able to get up. I had to take the band-aid off. Well, I took the paper up yesterday, and that made a world of difference in him gaining some balance. I got much better traction on the litter, now his legs seem to be improving. Just a thought.

We use the rubber hair bands, the little tiny black ones (clear no-pain ones slip off too easily). I think we found them at Wal-mart (box of all different sizes). Put a loop around one leg twist some then place another loop around the other leg. I watch them for a bit to make sure they get the hang of standing, but I think the rubber bands allow them more free range of movement than the band-aids.

Yeah, I had to take it off too. The paper has been up for 2 days now, I took the band aid off this morning, cause like you the chick kept falling over and couldn't get to water or food. We'll see what happens! I'm hoping for the best but....you just never know.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom