re homing a rooster

I don't think it is fair to pass on the heart ache of having to cull an aggressive bird to someone else. You chose to keep him, it is your job to do what is right. If you give him away especially a silkie people are likely to get attached because of how adorable they are, I personally don't think it is fair to pass that on to someone else. You can choose to keep him, but if he reproduces he can pass on the aggression to his children. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I know what it is like to be in your position, the heart ache hurts. But I don't think it's fair for someone to also suffer it. :hugs
yes I understand and agree. If I can't rehome him on a farm or somewhere where he wouldn't be close to people all the time, then I would chose another 'option'. He is only doing his job, just hard having him in our back yard where we also need to be. :)

yes I understand and agree. If I can't rehome him on a farm or somewhere where he wouldn't be close to people all the time, then I would chose another 'option'. He is only doing his job, just hard having him in our back yard where we also need to be. :)
I’m sorry, but he is not just “doing his job”. He is being aggressive. I have 6 cockerels and roosters, and can walk about my yard without any problems. I hope he can find a good home, and your problem is dealt with.

How old is this rooster? I had a cockerel that was just rude! So I had him contained in a coop/run for three months but it started to get too cold for him to be alone and put him in with three five month old pullets and he has been acting like the perfect gentleman so far. Don’t know if this is an option for you but just some food for thought. But it sounds like he may need to be contained rather than free ranged. This way people can move about the backyard freely
I completely agree with you! We have a nasty bantam rooster but keep him penned up, and we dont have to go in, we feed them over the fence, and that way, no one gets hurt!

How old is this rooster? I had a cockerel that was just rude! So I had him contained in a coop/run for three months but it started to get too cold for him to be alone and put him in with three five month old pullets and he has been acting like the perfect gentleman so far. Don’t know if this is an option for you but just some food for thought. But it sounds like he may need to be contained rather than free ranged. This way people can move about the backyard freely
I might try that! :) Not sure how old he is, he just turned up at our place around 4 months ago. I do have a part of the yard where they can all be locked in, but I figured that if the hens wont stress if he's gone, I'd rather just be able to let them wander around.

I might try that! :) Not sure how old he is, he just turned up at our place around 4 months ago. I do have a part of the yard where they can all be locked in, but I figured that if the hens wont stress if he's gone, I'd rather just be able to let them wander around.
If he is young he maybe feeling a lot like a teenage boy... and I am sure you can remember that or remember the way they acted. Maybe you just need to give him a chance to grow up or to know that if he acts like a jerk there is a jerk jail. Either way I would try that before just re-homing him or inviting him to dinner. I would keep a net at the back door and every time he attacks catch him with the net and put him in jail. This should at least train him to stay away from you.

Your hens will be fine if you get rid of him. They will be confused for a few days, but they'll get over it. A rooster that is busy going after his human keepers is not "doing his job". He's being a nuisance and could be a liability if he were to injure a visitor to your place. A spur breaking the skin could cause some serioius infection. A spur to a child's face could do worse than that. I woulnd't rehome him. I'd go with an "other option". He'd make some pretty good bone broth, I would think.

Back
Top Bottom