RE-HOMING my ATTACKING Polish Roo !

Once at a auction a Polish Rooster came up for bid and no one bid on him so my wife felt sorry for him and thought he looked pitifully and at her prodding I bought him for a dollar. After keeping him separated from the girls for a couple of weeks we gradually introduced him to the flock. All was well for the first month or so and then he started getting aggressive. I first noticed it when a friend's three year old son was face down on the ground and the rooster was on his back. Not knowing better we all thought it was funny and I was able to chase the rooster away. But after that he just kept getting meaner and more aggressive. I would open up the door to the coop and he would launch off the roost at me. If I turned my back to him in the yard he would come after me. I tried everything from holding him down, carrying him around, poking him with a stick, locking him in the coop while the girls were out free ranging feeding the girls treats and not allowing him to have any, and finally just giving him the boot when he came after me. Nothing worked! I never went out without a stick. I knew what needed to be done but I could not bring myself to do it and then one day he took off out of the yard after a Girl Scout who was walking down the street selling cookies. She was no where near our yard or the hens but he still went after her. Fortunately my oldest son saw this happening and took off after him and saved the girl from him. That was it, the next morning just before dawn I went to the coop, grabbed him off of the roost and took him away from where the girls could see him and with a quick flick of the wrist I snapped his neck insuring that he would not attack anyone again. I felt bad at the moment but I quickly got over it as piece of mind came over me.

You should do the same or have your son do it for you. Re-Homing him will not change his behavior, it will just put someone else at risk for being injured!

If you can't bring yourself to put him down, then get someone else to do it for you (even if that means offering a "free chicken dinner" on Craigslist). It's just not reasonable to expect someone to give him "a good home as a pet" when you know he's going to attack them just the same as he does you and your son.

From your OP it appears all of the coddling and affection and handling has led to his behavior, contrary to popular belief this is how it starts and you are unable emotionaly and physicaly to do what it really takes to cure the problem. i am sorry but I wouldn't pass your problem onto another and as you say as a pet only to a good family, he's attacking women and children what kind of pet does that !!and you cannot afford the liability to pass that on to another in good concience. Now as one military person to another, you don't pass a bad untrainable soldier off to another seargent to rehab for you, you jettison him out. Same goes for the bird, get rid of him for good, brush off your sleeves and drive on soldier.

I wish you good luck I really do but you gotta face the facts on this one, there ain't a chicken on the face of the planet that is worth what your dealing with.

CSM Retired
AL

Back
Top Bottom