RE: incubating, coincidence or connection?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the Pollo Loco, Dec 16, 2009.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I hope I get some scientist or microbiologist guy/gal to chime in on this one. Is it possible to get sick from incubating eggs? I had my hatch on sunday and that night I came down with a flu like symptom. I mean is it possible? and if it is, should we wear a protective gauze or mask as we open the bator? I'm not an alarmist, but I would like to know if it is something valid to be concerned about. You may say, "I've been hatching eggs for 2 thousand yrs and I've never gotten sick" well maybe so, maybe you've built up a resistannce to it, being that you are around more animals and a farm enviroment more than others I don't know. please chime in, all answers welcomed. peace [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    It takes a minimum of 3-5 days to get sick once you are exposed to a viral source, sometimes longer. Coincidence.

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Hatching chicks create a LOT of feather dust as they dry and fluff up. Many manuals recommend wearing a protective mask (GQF's does I think) when opening the incubator after hatching. I have asthma and have to be very careful to not breathe in as I retrieve chicks and especially when cleaning brooders. The feather dust kicks my hiney. I ended up up high powered asthma meds last winter before I realized it was the 4 week old chicks in the house causing the problem. Once I moved them out, I started to improve and got off of the meds...eventually. My asthma kicks up with every hatch though, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot [​IMG] If you are sensitive to it, just be careful about the feather dust & cleaning. Also, incubators are a perfect breeding ground for mold spores, another allergen & irritant.

I'm cleaning both of mine today, vacuuming, wiping out with a damp cloth and then spraying down inside with a bleach solution.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My allergies go nuts with every hatch and brooding. Head full of wet concrete, or so it feels, stopped up ears, nose, raw throat, coughing, no energy- ugh. Very similar to flu symptoms. And it's all caused by the feather dander from the chicks. That fine white dust accumulates everywhere, even though I brood in a small room closed off from the rest of the house.

That's the main reason I will have an incubator for sale very soon! I just can't keep doing the hatching in the house, and the garage/shop is too open to the weather.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:They make some really good allergy meds nowadays, have you tried a RX for your allergies? It would be sad if you couldn't incubate anymores!

6. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    On a side note, you may want to take extra care when you handle the chicks, as you could pass something to them...was hands, and cover your mouth and nose if you can when dealing with them while under the weather.

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    One should always wash hands before and after handling all breeds of birds...I know this from owning parrots...not only are there things they can give you, but that you might handle that can make them sick. Nicotine, household cleaners, cat germs...the list is HUGE of things that could potentially make a bird ill. Washing hands is an inexpensive and effective form of husbandry.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My kids know that they can't touch a chick unless I SEE them wash their hands.

Incubating takes to much time and effort to loose chicks.

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I thought I was the only one who has allergy symptoms when brooding.

Christina

10. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:As the others have pointed out, washing your hands before and after contact is a necessity. Wearing a protective mask is always a good idea especially when cleaning droppings whether it be in a brooder or their pen. Salmonella comes to mind when I read that you came down with flu like symptoms in less than a day. Typically salmonella has a 1-3 day incubation period but it will vary depending on your own immune system and method you contracted the bacteria. I have heard that contracting the bacteria through an open sore or cut on your hand, where the bacteria can enter your blood stream directly, can show symptoms within hours rather than days. There are also many fungi that can be contracted from bird droppings that have anywhere from a 3 to 17 day incubation period. Histoplasmosis, also known as Darling's disease is a common one that can be contracted from bird droppings. My sister just went through being tested for 18 different fungi (not to mention a lot of other tests) due to a serious lung infection. She is better now but they never did come up with a conclusive answer. She spent 10 days in the hospital... what a mess it was. Anyways, we learned a lot about fungal infections and also learned that a lot of them come from our feathered friends. I never wore a mask before all this but do so religiously now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by