Re-introducing baby duckling 2 days old.

The question, I keep reading about how important humidity is. In the UK we have sweet FA humidity outside until about late June. The Incubator has no humidity setting, just temperature, whilst it allows me to put water in the bottom to add humidity, I have no idea how to test regulate. Is it really important? Will not being able to measure or control it cause the growing ducklings any problems do you know???

Buy a hydrometer, set in the incubator and start-up of the incubator without adding water, and see what the humidity is, and just add water as needed.

Hi all, thanks for your help with Eric... I never did get him back with mum. Whilst he follows me if I take him outside, he runs away from me inside and goes mad if I try and pick him up. Planning to put him back on the lake in a week.

At the moment mum and her ducklings are in a pen on the island surrounded by an electric fence so the Heron can't get them this year. I plan on letting them out (they look big enough not to be cannon fodder) as feathers are coming through. I plan to put Eric in there for the first two weeks, on his own, get him used to being on the island and thinking of the duck house as home before I let him free...

I do worry that he may follow back to the house (that journey unsupervised is when the Fox strikes) is there a guidline on how long I can leave him there to get used to it?

It's a real shame, I have 3 of his cousins being born as we speak from my incubator. The advice on the cigar monitor was a godsend for making sure humidity was right. But they will be too young to go down with him, hes going to be on his own.

Any ideas on reintegration (especially on his own) would be fabulous. Thank you all, proud I saved this little man and these 3 from being eaten by the magpies

Back
Top Bottom