Re-introducing baby duckling 2 days old.

jsgordon79

Hatching
May 22, 2020
Hi There...

I know I may have started out doing the wrong thing (wish I'd have googled it first). But a mother hatched 4 eggs and left 15 behind in the duck house.

After 24 hours became clear she had no intention to sit on them any longer so I took them out to incubate them just incase there were some nearly ready ones being left to die.

I then noticed one egg was pipping. So I ended up spending about 30 minutes giving it a helping hand. Luckily (I know now I should have waited much longer) but was still scared the night time chill could kill it considering mum didn't want to know. Luckily the yolk sac was quite small and I didn't damage any blood vessels. We brought him inside and put under a brooder. He now looks like he's quite up to strength and the same size as the others which are 3 days old.

I don't want to risk putting him back, him running over then being neglected and I have to try and catch him again freaking the hell out the mum and the other ducklings in the process.

I was thinking maybe take him down in a cage a couple times a day and leaving him there for 20 minutes at a time, mum duck isn't that tame so need to be careful with her. Then after a few days letting him go see if they take to eachother.

I'm still a bit worried it could be too early, it's warm in the UK during the day at the moment but not to warm at night, maybe 9/10c.. If mum doesn't sit on him I'm worried he'll be too weak for the cold and may not make the night, in doors it's about 22 degrees and he has an infrared lamp which he still shivers with without, I don't want to leave it too long before he's forgotton but when is too early.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to help this little one on his way!

Well I had 2 ducklings hatch yesterday one under my Muscovy the other under my Orpington chicken today I made the decision to put the duckling from mama hen and give it too my Mama Muscovy. I put the duckling inside the coop with mama duck and sat and watched. It took about an hr for duckling to accept mama duck, she took to it right away. I'd try in the light of day and just watch from a distance. My Mama is inside the coop away from the rest of the flock so it was easy for me to do this and not worry about anyone interfering.

:welcome

Well I had 2 ducklings hatch yesterday one under my Muscovy the other under my Orpington chicken today I made the decision to put the duckling from mama hen and give it too my Mama Muscovy. I put the duckling inside the coop with mama duck and sat and watched. It took about an hr for duckling to accept mama duck, she took to it right away. I'd try in the light of day and just watch from a distance. My Mama is inside the coop away from the rest of the flock so it was easy for me to do this and not worry about anyone interfering.

:welcome
Thanks Miss Lydia

I've taken him/her down two days on the trot now and left her in a bird cage in the coup. Mum seems really interested but wouldn't leave the four babies huddled in the corner alone to go and investigate. Little duckling didn't want to know. Whilst he doesn't appear to like being picked up (always runs away) it really pines for me when I'm not in the room and follows me.

I have stopped using an infra red light so often as I know mum only sits on them a few times a day but I need it to become relisielnt to the weather outside I think?

Going to try and release him today and see what happens... Think I'm going to lose sleep worrying if he's ok throughout the night if they appear to take to eachother.

Get attached to them when you hand rear them !!

I’m so sorry. Knowing when to step in an help is the hard part. Have you tried just putting the duckling in and stepping away where you can watch but they can’t see you? If you wait much longer you’ll lose the window of opportunity. She won’t accept it much At a couple weeks old.

Sounds to me y’all have a serious predator problem and they will keep coming around as long as you keep providing duck. Any way you can put up electric fencing to keep them all safe? At least from ground predators? I had a Muscovy duckling rejected by its mama and brought it in to raise he is now 9 yrs old and even though he has 4 girls he is still my boy. They do make great pets.

Well same anywhere in UK if they are not just out in your back garden, mine are down in the lake on the edge of a woods. Couldn't get more wildlife! First 3 weeks they're vulnerable to Crows (even magpies), then it takes another 3 weeks for Herons to leave them alone.

Foxes are a 24/7 problem, but this time of year is the worst because of all the hungry fox cubs that need feeding by their mums. As long as I can get them imprinted on the island (which has a draw bridge) they are safe at that point. I never clip their wings to always give them a fair chance and equally if they're happy they'll stay.

I know my last message was a long one but any thoughts on the last paragraph? Incubation and humidity, any pointers?

Attachments

• 20200527_152007.jpg
    20200527_152007.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The question, I keep reading about how important humidity is. In the UK we have sweet FA humidity outside until about late June. The Incubator has no humidity setting, just temperature, whilst it allows me to put water in the bottom to add humidity, I have no idea how to test regulate. Is it really important? Will not being able to measure or control it cause the growing ducklings any problems do you know???

Buy a hydrometer, set in the incubator and start-up of the incubator without adding water, and see what the humidity is, and just add water as needed.

Back
Top Bottom