RE: Oh the gardening bug

This spring, our garden will be smaller than the last two seasons and will be planted in spurts because we are HOPING to be in a better place in the country by the time summer hits.

Right now, the only thing I have in the ground so far is the spinach. I tried to get the lettuces in the ground, as well, but Juanita (barred rock) was really insistent on helping me. I am going to have to wait for a day when DH is off work and can keep the chooks occupied so I can finish planting yummy greens (some of which is for the chickens anyway). When I get the rest of the greens in the ground, I'll also get the rest of the herbs and the onions planted. Once danger of last frost has passed (usually around 1st or 2nd week of February), I'm going to get the celery started. Might try to start it early in peat pots ... we shall see. I'm only going to do 2 cherry tomatoes this year and only 4 or 5 plants of larger tomatoes. I am reluctant to do TOO much more because of our hopes to move to a more sane environment/out in the country.

Good heavens!!! I don't have all mine started and likely won't till nearer Ground Hog day or a bit after for the ones I want slightly larger when they get transplanted. We're a bit of a microclimate in our area and have colder weather than most other locals in this part of Kentucky. The topography of our area is lower than the surrounding lands. We are between 3 different waters, 2 creeks and a river, each with different sources. Right now it's a veritable heat wave at 421 degrees after not reaching freezing for over a week. We were at 17 or below all that time with a night time temp that bottomed out at 2 degrees for a while, not wind chill, natural 2.

I'll start em' up in March, cold crops early April, get beans in the ground by Easter, and depending on night temps, will decide what hit the dirt next.

Quote:
I would love to hear what you are planting together. I have a list of which plants like each other and which hate others that we used to lay out our garden. But I know there is a lot I am missing in laying them out. We have terraces, gentle hills side, they are about 10' wide by 30' long with about half the 70' x 30' garden being veggies. A few fruit trees give some shade, I think MORE than we need, Mom thinks otherwise.

We have a winter garden as well, so most of the onions, cold season and herbs are in that garden.

I didn't know if anyone here was interested in a seed swap
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5565351#p5565351

I am all ready to start my seeds inside I have all the supplies But I am just trying to hold off for a little bit. I can not wait untill spring. I have a garder that is pretty big and I have some ideas of where else I can plant. I have spring fever BAD. LOL:lol:

Quote:
I've jusmped the gun just a little and started a few
hide.gif

I am going to do some tomorrow
wink.png
I think just a few flowering plants, they always take so long. Maybe tomatoes next week. With doing planted seeds and the new chicks coming next week, I will be even busier then usual. Spring will be here in no time. I am ready for it.

Plans are not set in stone for companions yet, but the "three sisters" for winter are pretty sure.

Roma tomatos (determinate sauce tomatoes for canning, good flavor)

Mortgage Lifter tomatos ( indeterminate, keep picked, huge slices for sandwiches and hamburgers)

Rutgers tomatos (determinate, best shape and size for fried green tomatoes, freeze well green for soups and stews)

sweet banana peppers (freeze wll sliced for use)

2 Habanero hot peppers, chocolate and white varieties (one at each end of garden to separate pollination)

Red Acre cabbage/Napa Chinese cabbage (to my knowledge common and chinese varieties do not cross- anyone know about this??)

Spaghetti Squash/Hickory King corn white/pinto beans(variety not sure yet but a dried 3 sisters for winter storage)

Burgundy Okra/flag Leeks (shade up, cooler crop low)

Golden Globe turnips/Georgia Collards (above and below soil companion)

parsnips (variety not decided)/Bloomsdale spinach (above and below soil companion)

Yukon Gold potatos (these will have a lettuce scattered on top)

Delicata Squash/Hickory King corn white/Largo Lima beans (dried 3 sisters for winter storage)

Blue Kuri squash/Hopi Blue meal corn/Louisiana Purplehull peas (dried 3 sisters for winter storage)

Black Beauty Zucchini/ Pak Choi Chinese cabbage (go in after squash)

Telegraph Cucumbers/Red salad bow lettuce (and maybe others, undecided but a trellised shade with lettuce below)

Creole Red Onions (early and alone, good keeper for a red)

Asian Sakata melons

Amole Soap Plant: see links

http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/vme/ARNHA/soaproot.html

http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=2654

Charleston Grey watermelons (big water melons, close to where the goose tank will drain)

Hale's Best cantaloupes/brussels sprouts (after melons die back)

Anaheim peppers (might wait on these- looking for big cooler pepper for Chili Rellenos, suggestions??)

Tomatillo/Ground Cherries (both are ready self-seeders and will have dedicated patch)

Strawberry spinach/Purple Top rutabagas (above and below soil companion)

Borage/Purple Coneflowers "Echinacea"/calendula/nasturiums/hibiscus/dog roses/raspberries/blackberries/black currant/chicory/ and ??
(wild patch herbals/tea plants/brambles along with "bee flowers" this will separate my tomatoes and peppers from each other to clear pollen from bees between plants)

Bushel Gourds (huge space needed and will cross with melons, pumpkins, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, anything "Cucurbita" genus readily - take care to keep from cross-pollination)

Kamut wheat (first patch will be to increase seed stores with minor flour use)

Also looking at hulless oats for home use and stock feed, and sorghum for feed and syrup pressing.

Quote:
I dont know if you've grown Bella Rosa before, but it was a fabulous performer for me last year. I dont spray, and I got so many tomatoes from it, they were delish. Im planting some this week, in fact. Good choice!

I order a lot from these people; they have varieties Ive never heard of before. Very nice and descriptive catalog.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom