Re-Opening the Thread - Can you see your chickens from your house?

Buff Hooligans

Scrambled
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
I'm re-introducing this topic because I didn't have a picture way back when it was first brought up.

Here's the view from our dining room:

1876017477_05f9502db2.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Our home is on a square acre lot, and literally in the middle of it. We looked around the property to decide where to locate the coop and run, and we didn't have a lot of options that had enough open space. The location we eventually selected is within direct view of the master bedroom.

Miss Prissy, thanks for the heads up! Duh. I'm learning so much about computers through this forum! Here's the photo.

1876017477_05f9502db2.jpg

Last edited:
I can; I have the coop and run just inside the front pasture. And when they're out to graze and the darned hens mount an assault on the back porch, I see them all too well!
hmm.png

I think you know how much I like your coop.
smile.png
My kitchen runs the length of the back of my house. It has very large picture windows on either side. I can see all of the barns from there, also from upstairs. I can see the poultry barn from any window on the left side of the house.

we live on a small lot of land with neighbors all around us--
so we finally found the best place to put our coop/chicken yard
I can see the chickens from our living room and from the bathroom window if I step out my front door it is only a few steps till i get to the gate that opens to the chicken yard.
next spring we are going to be adding onto thier yard which will bring the chickens right up to the front door.
for us this was the best solution since we are limited on space and have lots of loose dogs in the area.

julie

Quote:
The man who built our house had a regular type barn for large animals with stalls, loft, tackroom and equipment storage (with an outhouse tacked on the back). He also built a building that was half tobacco barn/corn crib and toolshed/workshop. In 1915 he decided to raise chickens. The poultry barn is a long series of rooms, 6 rooms originally but now is 5 rooms and an open stall area. It is about 125+ft long and 25ft wide with ceiling heights that vary from 12+ft to 8ft over the roosts. Right now I have 2 rooms I am using for my chickens. Each room will hold about 150 - 200 birds. He raised 500 chickens at a time and sold the eggs in his store and sent them up the line on the train to the city.

He also built a building we use as a gardening shed but his wife used it to raise her own flock of chickens for her household use. This little building is small (10ft x 20) but the thing that intrigues me is there is a place in the ceiling where you can clearly see that once was a stove pipe from a woodstove. I wonder alot if Mrs. Thayer burned a stove in the snowy winter months for her hens.

The former owners let things run down and misused the buildings for his rag tag mistreated animals. We are slowly room by room repairing and trying to make something of it all. It has taken us nearly 3 years to get to where we are to be able to have proper housing for the livestock I want to raise.

All of the barns are alot of work in more ways than one.

That sounds like a great setup Miss Prissy.
I can see mine from the back bedroom window or the back porch. I eventually plan to install some cameras around the yard then I will be able to see it as well as the rest of the yard from my computer desk.

Back
Top Bottom