Re: Power Failure and Silkie Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickNLittle, Apr 6, 2008.

  1. ChickNLittle

    ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

    465
    1
    141
    Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I have heard so many differing opinions about the tempratures in the still air Hovabator. I am not an old hand at incubating, but I have hatched two or three times last year. But...I was using a toaster oven and it worked fantastic on 100 degrees and a full pan of water. [​IMG] Now....I am a bit confused about the hovabators correct temp. I have heard anywhere from 99 to 103. So which is it? And will they fry if it is 102 or 103 for any certain length of time?

    Next question: During this last batch, my power went out for almost 18 hours. So I put the eggs under the hen outside until the power came back on. Would this have caused harm to the embryos? Because on the 18th day I had several that had a broken air sack I believe. (The egg when turned shows the air cell sort of free floating?). So I lost all those and they were silkie eggs. Been trying to get my own brood myself. [​IMG] The rest of the Silkies are still in the incubator. Due to hatch today and/or tomorrow (unless the power situation delayed thehatch I now ordered more silky eggs, so what ar e th repercssions (if any)of having thepower goe up while the incuabor is keeping.Ishould say hatching.Tehe! I have no pips as yet. Please feel free to add any and all comments and ideas. If they dont hatch tonight or tomorrow,what should I do? Thanks guys/gals.Tehe!
     
  2. ChickNLittle

    ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

    465
    1
    141
    Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Alright, this morning I had a three leghorns pipping. Same three are pipping this evening. Plus two more. I am waiting for two or three silky eggs to start. Nothing so far! These are the ones that I believe survived the power outrage. One of the leghorn eggs, took a pretty big Pip chunk out of the shell on the top earlier this evening. I seen him moving around a little bit. He is not moving now, that I can tell. He is still in there though. I'm not touching anything so far. Sooooo.......how long should I wait before trying to help. Remember they pipped this morning.
     
  3. tnkinhunting

    tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

    659
    0
    149
    Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I believe I would be patient and wait till tomorrow - but that's me! It's hard not to help them get out.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by