RE: Raising broad breats white turkies

vebyrd36

Songster
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
New Ringgold Pa
Okay here we go, I have 16 broad breast turkies. My question is if the weight is kept undercontrol can I breed them? They are very friendly turkies. I figure the same concept is applied to them as is with cornish x.
smile.png

I'm sure it's not an impossibility...especially if you had a young/smaller tom to do the job. I dunno, mine had so many problems at a year old...then the hen prolapsed so they all ended up in the freezer which was the original intention anyway!

One of the many problems, the worst being low fertility in the male and not being able to actually make contact with the hen, is that if the hen actually IS successful laying an egg she's pretty likely to break the durn thing because of being a wee heavy and don't even think about letting her sit a nest.

I'd say we got about 30-40 eggs out of our BB hen. None were fertile...but they sure are delicious, lol. Yes, our BB hen squooshed about 3 or 4 of my chickens...I can't imagine them trying to brood eggs!

So the concern is size and fertility. Well what would the cross look like from a Spanish black over white BB or Spanish black over BB

Back
Top Bottom