RE: Raising broad breats white turkies

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by vebyrd36, Jan 23, 2011.

1. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Okay here we go, I have 16 broad breast turkies. My question is if the weight is kept undercontrol can I breed them? They are very friendly turkies. I figure the same concept is applied to them as is with cornish x. [​IMG]

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

They have been known to breed, fertility tends to be a little lower I hear but it can be done.

3. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm sure it's not an impossibility...especially if you had a young/smaller tom to do the job. I dunno, mine had so many problems at a year old...then the hen prolapsed so they all ended up in the freezer which was the original intention anyway!

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the many problems, the worst being low fertility in the male and not being able to actually make contact with the hen, is that if the hen actually IS successful laying an egg she's pretty likely to break the durn thing because of being a wee heavy and don't even think about letting her sit a nest.

5. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I'd say we got about 30-40 eggs out of our BB hen. None were fertile...but they sure are delicious, lol. Yes, our BB hen squooshed about 3 or 4 of my chickens...I can't imagine them trying to brood eggs!

6. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    So the concern is size and fertility. Well what would the cross look like from a Spanish black over white BB or Spanish black over BB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by