Re: Round Worms

Zanna

Songster
Oct 14, 2010
Jefferson, Oregon
I have been keeping an eye on one of my year and a half old white leghorn hens. She has not looked quite right or laid an egg for about a week. Last night found her outside the coop instead of inside roosting with the clan. Picked her up, put her on the roost and she fell off
sad.png
So, she is currently on my kitchen floor on a towel, will eat a little yoghurt and chopped egg but I do not think she is drinking. She pooped a bunch of roundworms just a minute ago, AHA. So, hubby is bringing home Wazine, any ideas on how to get her to drink the medicated water? If I syringe it into her, I am afraid I may shoot the water to the wrong place, any ideas would be appreciated!

This is the problem with wormers that you add or mix into water like wazine. If a chicken is sick, they wont drink the medicated water. Even if use use a syringe or eyedropper to 'make' her drink, you dont know how much wormer is needed to be effective in getting rid of the roundworms. This is why you should use a wormer that you directly administer orally, that way you know she has been truly wormed.
I recommend you use valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. It's best you worm all your chickens at once, normally if one has them, there's a good chance the rest of them have worms as well. If you dont have those wormers at your feed store, you can order either wormer at Jefferslivestock.com or call them. They ship quickly.
Valbazen dosage for your Leghorns is 1/2cc given orally to each chicken. Safeguard dosage is the same...1/2cc orally to each chicken.
Ten days after you first worm them, redose them again, same dosage with either wormer. Do this to kill larva that have appeared since the first worming. There will be a grand total of 24 days egg withdrawal.
If you are successful getting your Leghorn to drink the wazine treated water, I recommend you follow up in 10 days with either the valbazen or safeguard. Both wormers not only kill roundworms, but many other types of worms that chickens get. Valbazen kills all types of worms including tapeworms. Safeguard does not kill tapeworms. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom