Re-seeding Options?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CritterFarmer, Apr 13, 2009.

1. CritterFarmer

CritterFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Ontario
    Our chickens currently get a fenced-in area (100' x 100') for their outdoor area, however after about a year it's been pretty tore up. It is going to be expanded in a few months to about 4x it's current size. We are also fencing in a slightly smaller area (100' x 50') which we can rotate them to temporarily while the bare portion re-seeds.

I was thinking of re-seeding with clover, as it's fairly hardy and grows well here (Ontario). Any other ideas of quick growing seeds that do well in a chicken pasture?

2. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    bird seeds very easy to grow, and you get a little variety of millets, sunflowers and things.

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    if you can keep the seed intact ( not eaten ) anual rye grass is cheap grows quickly. it will die off when temps start to average over 70 F.

4. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    what about diffrent types of fountain grass? I'm planning on doing a pea gravel sand mixture and planting diffrent types of sedums and fountain grass

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Have you thought about dividing the larger area into 3-4 sections and doing a rotation? Then, you could have one that is actively used, one that is freshly seeded and one that is ready to go for rotation.

Also, I googled fast growing ground covers and got a couple of different options. There are vines like Virginia creeper, grasses like dwarf mondo grass, and shrubs like Japanese spurge. I would be cautious about what to plant though as some plants can be highly invasive or even toxic. (On a side note: I am fond of mints for groundcovers as they smell heavenly when stepped on but again highly invasive.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by