RE: So a stray chicken has found its way into our yard......as an animal magnet I wasnt surprised ev

Robinson

Hatching
7 Years
May 23, 2012
My question is about feeding it worms.....I orderded some redworms via the internet that are farm raised and packaged in peat moss.....I plan on feeding them to her only at meal times am/pm as an extra treat.....any concerns from the peat moss?
Thanks from the "new" chick on the block!!

I'm confused. You had a chicken just walk into your yard? Have you asked around with your neighbors to see if it belongs to any of them?

According to Joel Salatin (Polyface Farm), by nature chickens (birds) follow behind animals, pecking through their droppings to get at larvae and such. It's nature's way of keeping the planet pest free. So, considering this, I wouldn't worry about peat moss. You might want to read his book, "Folks, This Ain't Normal" to get a better perspective on the natural cycle in responsible agronomy. He's brilliant!

Also, if you were "adopted" by a stray chicken and no one has claimed her, you might want to consider getting her a few companions. Chickens are very social birds and will get very lonesome solo. They normally live in flocks, and a small flock should ideally contain no fewer than 3 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom