1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RE: The giant egg in the chicken egg nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickNLittle, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Ok, I tried to upload the photo of the biggest darn chicken egg that I found in the nest yesterday. But this egg is tinted and it is about 4 inches big and probably as fat around as my leghorn eggs. This came from a friends nest. She has arancana's, RIR, Barred Rocks, bantams and two Turkeys. Female and Male. I swear this has got to be a turkey egg. They are running together. What do you guys/gals think? I'm so curious. I put it in the hova bator just to see if the thing hatches. Its in there with the rest of my eggs. I can probably send a photo through PM, I hope. Tehe!

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Over large eggs are generally double-yolkers.

There is little point trying to incubate it, esp as they taste so good [​IMG]

3. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I just can't bare to eat them though.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I'll send you my address [​IMG]

The recommendation to only incubate regular shaped and sized eggs is pretty well founded .... if you do try it, let us know hoe it yurns out.

5. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    No...this egg is not large its HUGE! It has to be a triple yoker, or a Turkey egg. Tehe!

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had a chicken egg the other day that was 4.5 ozs. It was a double yolker-I thought at least a triple but, no. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by