Re: THE LAST CHICKS I HATCHED THREE DAYS AGO! HELP!!!!

ChickNLittle

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Folkston, Georgia
I hope this is the correct place to put this. I hatched out about 8 chicks about 3 days ago. Three I helped, three I didnt'. The ones I DID help with are all fine. The others ; one died, (a silkie), another silkie is in the brooder and can't walk, keeps falling sideways on the left, but otherwise seems healthy. Then there are two little leghorns that are also lame? What did I do, and can I fix it? Thanks

What are they eating? Have you made sure they are drinking water? Dip their beaks in the water bowl. I had this happen once, and the chick was malnourished. Once we made sure it was eating and drinking right, it got better.

Hello, I am sorry for what you are going through...I have been battling a similar situation!
Did the chicks just now become lame? I am assuming that these chicks were incubated via incubator and not broody hen...Could you also describe what the chicks that you helpped out looked like; were they very wet and sticky, was there a lot of green bile-looking stuff in the shell, did they stink, and how was their navel? All of this stuff might help lead you to the problem. I would say that, especially since you had to help them out, it was likely the incubators fault. What type of incubator do you have? Did you have any more eggs that were fertile and died or any that pipped and died?
Sorry for all the questions! I have lost a lot of chicks via incubator malfunction and also learned a lot in resulting chicks. I hope I can help!
Crystalchik

To spudchild; one of them eating and trying to drink a little (a leghorn, and he is starting to scoot around a little. The silky baby if I pick him up he gets happy, and he has taken a sip or two of water finger. But he can't get up so he can't get to the water. As soon as I try to put him down he just falls over to his left side? The other leghorn seems like he is gaining weight, but when I put him down, he can't get up either, however he is in a sitting sort of position with splayed legs. When the silky falls over, he just falls period, and stays down trying to get up?

To Crystal Chick: I been wondering about this incubator. It is a hova bator. I followed all the instructions to a tea, but this is my third hatch in the bator and the rate has been low. I did better in my darn toaster oven. The instructions they give you in with the bator, are not the same as I read on here. It's crazy! I dont' know what to do with these chicks either. I read somewhere on here about splayed feet and how to wrap the feet to straighten them out? Thanks guys/gals!

Back
Top Bottom