Re: Who else has a koi pond???

wow amazing ponds guys i wish i had sth like that .
i have two koi ponds that are also my mandarin and wood duck ponds. the filtration system works perfectly so my koi are doing fine i keep 4 koi fish (2 in each of the large duck ponds that are around 1,5 thousant liters my third pond is rather small less than 1000 liters so i did not put any koi in that pond .all off them are interconected through small waterfalls and my circulation rate is 2000 liters an hour through the vegetable filter and back to the first pond . the water is crystal clear and i use an aqua vac pond vacum every 10 days or so to vacum the bottoms .the koi do an amazing work at eating the duck dropings from the bottom and only sand is left. your ponds look like lakes to me they look natural my ponds are stone built above ground and are layered with blue swiming pool tiles they are more like baths than ponds

Last edited:
my biggest expense was the rock...we brought in all of this "blue flat rock" native to Wisconsin....3 truckloads later...OUCH

Dan

We just have a tiny little pond for now. I would like to put in a bigger one some day, but that may involve bringing in heavy equipment as everywhere we dig there are rocks and you never know if the rock is the size of a football or a car!
P1090744.jpg

A few native frogs that found our pond ~ we didn't stock any.
7frogs002.jpg

I have a 1300 gallon pond, about 12 feet in diameter lined with elephant ears, various plants, plenty of river rock and flagstone, 2 waterfalls and a spitter frog. I had several comets in it and a few leopard frogs. It had plenty of oxigenator plants and other plants local to this area like water lettuce, hyacinths and cattails. Springtime was a chore fighting the algae even though I had barley bales in the water as well as ultra violet filtering and regular filter with media. Fortunately I managed to keep it under control. I had to drain it after 3 years of use due to our electric company raising rates and my wife losing her job due to her disability. I gave the plants and fish away to a friend and he still has them in his pond. Everything else is still intact and hopefully I'll get my pond up and running again one day in the future.

I have two small ponds. One has fish in the other is for wild life. Many newts & frogs have made it their home.

So many that some have moved over to share the pond with the fish !

On a clean out last may I found 40 newts in the fish pond alone.

I intend to dig the two ponds into one this year. Total size 16ft x 9ft x 3ft With a shallow end & a deep end to keep everybody happy.

Not sure yet if i will filter it or leave it natural.

So looking forward to digging it out.
tongue.png

Reg

Back
Top Bottom