Reaction to first snow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Dec 5, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Our pullets were so funny. Yesterday was the first snow fall for them. They would not go out in the snow but did lean out the door and eat the white stuff.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    you never no how they will react... they're certainly fun to watch!

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Seems normal. They eat everything else. As much as my chickens eat you would think they would weigh 50 lbs.

4. Fox&hen

Fox&hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Ours all acted like just another day, no big deal.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I was actually sitting on the perch in the rooster's pen when it started snowing yesterday. The little guy started dodging snowflakes and ran up under the coop to escape them. Then he saw Hildegard, my sexiest hen, chasing snowflakes in the next pen. So he came back out. I guess he didn't want her to know what a coward he was! [​IMG]

6. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    Our girls all stood in the doorway contemplating whether to go out in the snow or not. Eventually three of them hopped down the steps. The rest of them flew as far as they could, and when they landed they ran for the woodline. It was a hoot to watch.

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] That's a great visual, THANKS!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  8. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    My flock had their first snow yesterday also... they did get out a little bit and checked it out and then resorted to just sticking their heads out the door eating it. Today I opened the coop and run and no one would even walk out. They dont seem too keen on it.

[​IMG]

9. Chainsaw385

Chainsaw385 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2010
    A couple didn't seem to mind at all......a couple would fly and land then fly again.One would pick it's foot up and shake it after every step.

They all spent much more time in the coup.............and I am getting a few more eggs each day so I must have had a couple laying in the brush somewhere.

10. libertychicken

libertychicken Out Of The Brooder

I pulled the decorative cabbage out of the pots at the front door and gave it to the girls during first snow yesterday - they are crazed for kale!

[​IMG]

The snow isn't really bothering them, though they were a bit skeptical at first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by