Reactive Dogs

That's great!

I know we tend to focus on how their behavior affects us, and sometimes forget how just plain miserable the poor dog must be, living in a constant state of stress. I hope you can get her more relaxed and happy.

Speaking of relaxed, I can't resist....

maybe you could just point her west and she could come chill with Eve for a while--it's contagious, let me tell you!

Here is a great read from the ASPCA on the causes and types of reactivity. I'll apologize in advance, this will be long, as dog behavior and training is my passion and career.
Each cause or causes can be quite unique to the individual dog. If only they could talk. I do suspect after reading that she may be quite unsure of herself and therefore may take a defensive posture as a way of keeping scary things away from her. If so, calm confident handling goes a long way to relieve the pressure. I think the field dog trainer had good insight. In working with reactive dogs that lack confidence, first, do no harm, as you read, punishment can and often does backfire. I've had great results with agility training as supplemental training. It's a great way to build confidence. Our county shelter uses agility training to help dogs become more stable and adoptable. It's been a huge success. I also would be cautious using treats when she may be feeling anxious as you might be rewarding that in an attempt to redirect. I'd save those for training behaviors at home. I sure hope this article or this post helps you in some small way. I look forward to updates.
If you find the need for a certified trainer or behaviorist to help you, you could contact http://www.ccpdt.org/

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/aggression-dogs

She's got the laziness down pat! Lol! I do think she misses her cattle dog buddy from home though. They were really good with each while I was home for the summer.

Thanks for those links and the advice Mutt Farm. I'm still learning when to give her treats and when not to. I need to practice that I think. The trainer gave us some signs to look for when a dog is relaxing or shaking things off. I've been trying to give her treats for that. Otherwise I've been working with her for 5-10 minutes a day on just being outside in the apartment complex with people passing and doing things like automatic sit and down and "look". It went well today. Hopefully I can continue!

The school does have agility classes and I went to some last year. I may try to go again this year.

I think what I really need to do is just go to a park and be near people and let her just get used to them without any immediate contact. Then little by little I may ask people I trust to come with me and greet her by getting low and having some treats. That seemed to work amazingly well yesterday. I may take her to the dog park next weekend and just do some work outside the park so there is. A nice barrier between the other people/dogs and us.

Last edited:
I think what I really need to do is just go to a park and be near people and let her just get used to them without any immediate contact. Then little by little I may ask people I trust to come with me and greet her by getting low and having some treats. That seemed to work amazingly well yesterday. I may take her to the dog park next weekend and just do some work outside the park so there is. A nice barrier between the other people/dogs and us.
I think what I really need to do is just go to a park and be near people and let her just get used to them without any immediate contact. Perfect. Sit somewhere safe and read a book
Then little by little I may ask people I trust to come with me and greet her by getting low and having some treats. Super. Might want to have them just pass by and toss a delicious treat at first. Strangers approaching = treats.
You mentioned her cattle dog buddy. If you could hook up with someone that has a big confident friendly low energy speed bump kinda dog to accompany you, that might work really well.sometimes dogs are better at teaching than we are.
Loved the pictures. Loved the post. I'll butt out now.

Back
Top Bottom