Reactive Dogs

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Its been a while since I've started a thread of my own. Mostly I find myself trying to answer others' questions!

I'm curious if anyone else here has had to deal with reactive dogs. I grew up with a cattle dog who was mostly a farm dog. He did his job well, but he didn't like visitors. He was usually confined to the office when we had people over. He is 15 now and was a great dog.

Now I live away from home and I'm in my third year of vet school. Last year (exactly one year ago yesterday), I adopted a dog from a shelter. She is a mixed breed (Definitely beagle, probably some lab, the rest heinz 57) and she was found as a stray. She is about three years old now and definitely had puppies before I got her. She is now spayed and was definitely somebody's pet. She was housebroken and knew what a couch was from the moment I brought her home!

For the most part, she's been an awesome dog. I've done a ton of training with her, we go to training classes at the school, she's done some agility, and we do a lot of hiking. When I adopted her, the rescue told me she had some issues with men and female dogs. However, she seems to be fine with female dogs (Most dogs, actually) if introduced properly. She will snap at dogs when she's on the leash and they are allowed (by the other owners despite me saying not to) to come up to her face. She LOVES guys. I'm a female myself, and my two room mates are females as well, but over the past year, I've seen her start to have some issues with certain females. Sometimes its when females come up to her to try and pet her without me knowing, and when I was staying at my family's house this summer, she seemed to have an issue with women washing their hands and reaching for paper towels at our kitchen sink.

Last year, I started to see some behavior like trying to bark at certain people on our walks around the apartment. I signed up for some training classes and a reactive dog symposium and learned how to teach dogs to get their attention on you using treats. So I worked with this method over and over and over again. What I started to find is that giving treats in an excited state, even if her attention was on me, was making the behavior worse, despite trainers claiming this would not happen. As soon as I would run out of treats, she would stop listening to me. Since I live in an apartment complex, this behavior is worrisome for me, because I don't want people to be afraid of her. Over the summer, I started investigating some new training methods and now I have been leaving the treats home and going for walks with a calm, yet somewhat stern demeanor. This seems to work well for her, but I was so torn about this method because a lot of sources claim this can cause the opposite effect in dogs. While it may stop the barking, it could make them more reactive or aggressive in other ways. I haven't seen that yet and she's been ok. She did bark at a neighbor on a walk the other night, but I think we were both a bit startled when she came around the corner so fast. Regardless, the behavior is still concerning to me.

I do have to be more wary when visitors come over (usually only female visitors). Its kind of disappointing because I was hoping the dog I adopted would be a social dog. She was pretty social in the beginning, albeit timid. I definitely have learned a TON about dog behavior as I've seen this side of her emerge. I think a lot of what I've seen is her finally settle in to her routine and she feels more comfortable. Part of the issue I think might stem from lack of socialization early on, and since she was a stray, I'll never know her history. I have two years left here at this apartment in this town, so I'm hoping I will be able to control it until I move. What has been throwing a wrench into things is that a girl from my class moved into a nearby apartment and she has a very dog-reactive dog. While my dog is not usually dog-reactive, this dog just sets her off. Her hair goes up on her back and she'll bark and growl a bit. I have to be very careful that the dog is not walking by when I step out of the apartment, which makes walk time a bit more stressful. The other owner is very responsible with her dog and is one of the trainers I actually worked with at the symposium, but she ascribes to positive only training. I'm trying very hard to control my stress about the whole situation, but it would be helpful to hear about other people's experiences with people or dog-reactive dogs.

If anything should happen here, I know my parents would not hesitate to take her temporarily until I move somewhere different. At least that gives me a sense of peace about things and I've just been trying to remain vigilant yet deal with things as they come up.

I commend you for adopting your dog...
thumbsup.gif
. I really don't have much to add.. Possibly the reason for dog not liking other women, is she is detecting hormones ???
idunno.gif
I just see this venture as another learning experience in your field of study.

WISHING YOU BEST.

PS. The breed of your dog in my circles is referred to as Curbstone Terrier.
yesss.gif
Mutts Rule.

Over the summer, I started investigating some new training methods and now I have been leaving the treats home and going for walks with a calm, yet somewhat stern demeanor. This seems to work well for her, but I was so torn about this method because a lot of sources claim this can cause the opposite effect in dogs. While it may stop the barking, it could make them more reactive or aggressive in other ways. I haven't seen that yet and she's been ok.

I think the above seems to be what you need to continue. It's giving positive results, correct? Even if sources claim it can have the opposite effect, it's working for your dog so I say go with it.

Not a ton of experience with reactive dogs, I gravitate toward pretty low-energy canines. I have had some very responsive horses, though, and found they need an oppositely responsive handler. If I was worried about how my horse would react to another horse, sure enough, we had issues. If I was worried my horse would spook at a booger, sure enough I'd better have a good seat. If I was confident and relaxed, usually they just kept their heads down and walked on, past the horse or booger or whatever.

Have you and the dog-reactive owner tried letting your dogs off leash together? They seem to do so much better than we think they will. Being off leash seems to free them from picking up our stress so much and they're able to just work out being dogs.

Edited to add--- we do appreciate the time you spend here helping others!

Last edited:
old.gif
As a sometimes cranky older veterinarian, I first went to dog training classes long ago. Before the cookies and "only positive reinforcement" training style took over most of the world. It's from training killer whales at Sea World, and can work great to teach tricks. I'm more a fan of calm secure handling, "making the right thing easy, and the wring thing hard' methods. Praise and corrections as needed, not so many cookies. Sounds like you have found a way to move forward with her, and I second donrae's comments too. Mary

I am a follower of Cesar Milan, sounds as if your dog is feeding off of your nervous energy, certainly don't reward bad behavior with treats, ignore them and expect your dog to as well. If you are a vet student you will in a few years find yourself watching people in your waiting room pet and talk baby to scared and obnoxious dogs, thus rewarding the behavior. I would urge you to look into his methods and watch some of his shows, most bad dog behavior comes from the owner not being a leader. I have a pack of six dogs, five of them females, I am their leader, and no, I never hit or punish my dogs, reward the good ignore the bad, or address it, learn to speak dog and a whole new world will open up for you, good luck.

Thanks Donrae. Vet school in stills a lot of positive training methods into our heads. Even the veterinary behaviorists use pretty much only positive reinforcement (with a bit of drugs now and then depending on the case). I have never trained any of my other dogs this way, but most of the dog classes offered through the school use that method. So I tried, but it just doesn't seem to work for her. Of course, the "she'll be more reactive if you use certain methods" sticks in the back of my head. Just like every disease I learn about that one of my pets *might* have. I don't know how human med students do it. I would probably be self diagnosing after every class!

I've learned a lot more about dog behavior having her. She's been ok the past few days. I definitely work hard to remain calm and not nervous. That's a challenge sometimes because my life is one giant ball of stress while I'm in school (which is one reason I got a dog...to help give me an outlet to NOT be stressed...har har)

I've seen a lot of Caesar Milan's work and even read a book by him but I just can't bring myself to be a fan. I think dogs need a leader but I don't really subscribe to the human leader of the pack mentality because there has been quite a bit of research lately supporting the idea that dogs recognize humans as different from themselves. I suppose some of my training methods recently have been similar to his, but there are other aspects I'm not so sure I agree with (mostly because I could see it becoming a problem for people who don't really understand dog behavior...ie dog bites via his methods) Yes, nervous tension is definitely an issue, but I wasn't like this when she started exhibiting signs of reactivity, so I don't think that caused the behavior in the first place. It's definitely a difficult cycle to break, which is why I'm interested to hear how others deal with the issue. It seems that the more behavior she exhibits (barking or lunging at people or other dogs) the more anxiety it instills in me.

Of course it doesn't help that some dolt had two dogs off leash today outside of my apartment, which tried to run at my dog when I went outside. The guy said "they're friendly" so I just had to reply that she doesn't get along with all dogs while on a leash. He was apologetic but the rules of the complex say no off leash dogs. At least my dog will just growl and snap at other dogs. My classmate's dog is not so forgiving, so this guy needs to be more careful.

Just an update.

The Sports Dog club had a dog socialization class today for $5 and I went. I got a chance to talk with one of the trainers and she observed Sienna a bit. She noticed that any time she was put in a stressful situation, she would sniff the ground. She called it "displacement sniffing" and said it is a coping mechanism for dogs that feel uncomfortable. She has always done this since I got her but everyone I worked with just said it was the beagle in her, so I was constantly telling her "no" and "leave it" but sometimes that would make it worse. I always just thought that was her misbehaving but this new knowledge makes a lot of sense.

Sienna was great at the class and we had some people come up to her. She was reactive at first but once they got low and gave her some treats, she was fine.

The trainer recommended I just work with her to boost her confidence, especially in areas that she is distracted by sniffing. She said do more sit, stay, and down. I'm going to try this and see if it makes a difference, because I saw a difference with her today and I am excited to see if she can blossom and not be so unsure all the time. That's how the trainer described her behavior...not fear or aggression, but she is just unsure how to handle some things.

So, this has really want eased my stress about the whole thing and it was nice to talk to some people who have dealt with this kind of thing in the past and overcame it.

Back
Top Bottom