1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Read on shopthecoop.com

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dozen chickens, Mar 20, 2008.

1. dozen chickens

dozen chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Western Colorado
    I was looking at this shop online, and read this disturbing information...

Please note: If you are buying peeps from hatcheries, they kill males in mass. If you do not want to contribute to the killing of thousands of baby male peeps, you may want to consider hatching your own. Welp & McMurray are just of few hatcheries that partake in the killing .

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    OUCH ..... That is a very inflammatory and irresponsible statement for another business to be making. I see lawyers in their future!

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    It's not untrue. The majority of hatcheries do that. I don't neccesarily think they should have named names, but many do that and/or sell them for dog food, among many worse and inhumane ways of killing them (or rather "letting them die") etc.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    ALL hatcheries have to 'dispose' of their extra/unsold chickens. For laying breeds, that's thousands of males per week. For meat birds, that's females, often.

They can't accurately predict demand or hatch rates carefully enough to hatch just the right amount of chicks each week.
    AND of course, there is no way to sex the eggs before they hatch, and eggs hatch 50/50 males to females.

If you hatch your own, you have the same issues. You will either have to live with a lot of extra roos, eat them, cull them or find them other homes.

While I disagree with them listing specific hatcheries like these two are the only ones (ALL hatcheries that hatch in large quantity, or sell sexed chicks have the problem of excess chicks) What they say is factually accurate, other than implying that by hatching your own you somehow avoid having the 'incorrect' ratio of males/females.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:True... Any business or public forum should educate rather than incite others. It is not good for public relations. If you want to make a point, don't put names with it like that.

6. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I didn't read the statement,
    However, years ago I volunteered at the Oregon Zoo one day a week. I worked with their birds of prey program. We had to cut up and weigh the food for the birds each day - food was 3 things
    a premade chow with vitamins etc, mice and day old chicks.
    LetÂ’s face it; even people on this board will process their roosters and no one gives it much of a 2nd thought, it is part of the life being a chicken. The difference is that some of this happens with day old chicks.
    CS

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I always wondered where the extra males went. I am happy I do hatching eggs now. At least they have a better shot at life. Poor baby chicks.

8. meloncholy88

meloncholy88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    The business is a hobby, and no untrue statements have been made.

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Not untrue. But the same problem exists for those who hatch eggs or breed their birds.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We as consumers have to take the majority of the blame for this.
    How many say
    "I want only pullets"
    "I ordered 25 pullets"
    "Hey, they sent me extras and they are ROOS!"

What do we expect them to do with the unwanteds? Send them to a roo sanctuary?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by