reading materials

nuts4chickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Kingston, GA
Can anyone suggest a good book covering chicken diseases, treatments, and overall flock management? Looking for an advanced book since chicken vets are scarce around here. All the chicken books I have found so far arent very in depth.

For reasonably detailed/comprehensive coverage of health type issues in particular (which sounds like that's your main interest?) the usual recommendation is Gail Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook. I have not seen anything better than it, although I am not a big fan of it either. If someone knows a better in-depth health info book I'd like to hear about it; but until and unless that happens, I will still recommmend the Chicken Health Handbook I guess.

Pat

Our two staples, both purchased at our local Orscheln store, are: first... Choosing and Keeping Chickens by Chris Graham with many color photos of standard and bantam breeds with about a 1 1/2 page discussion of the breed background, appearance, egg or meat qualities, and so on. My favorite "browse" book. Second, and much more detailed in all chicken keeping details, is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care, Feeding, Facilities by Gail Damerow. I cannot compare with other guides, but these have given us needed information, and you just cannot beat the color breed photos in the Chris Graham book. Happy Reading:) ~G

Storey's guide to Raising Chickens is the best chicken book. Raising Chickens for Dummies is the second best. The best resource of all? You're looking at it right now! BYC!

Thanks everyone for your input! I just ordered the Chicken Health Handbook, and I'm going to look into the other suggestions as well. I've learned soooo much here on BYC.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom