Ready for First Incubation

BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
We're new to chickens, having bought 6 2-week-old chicks just before Thanksgiving with the intention of having fresh eggs beginning next spring. We'll likely give 2 of those to neighbors if our hatching attempts pan out well.

We just got our eggs yesterday and are ready to put them into the incubator this afternoon. It's a Hovabator still air and the temp seems to be a constant 100.0 for the last 48 hours. Need to get a hygrometer today to make sure that's doing well, but we're in Western Washington and have radiant heat, so I'm not too worried about humidity (or am I just being naive??). We ordered some mixed Frizzle eggs on eBay and they arrived quickly and safely. Seven eggs. Hoping for at least one or two chicks. Since we'll only keep hens, hopefully they'll not be all males! My 4- and 2-year old daughters will likely enjoy this as much as I will!

Anyway, if anyone has any tips, we're all ears! I've gleaned many from the message boards thus far.

Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif
From West Monroe, Louisiana!!!!

Well.. Good Luck with your Project there!!!! I can give you some advise and get a hygrometer.. The atmosphere in your bator will be different than the ambient room humidity due to the heating element. Just make sure you turn your eggs 3 times daily, and on day 18 you raise your humidity to between 60-70% and watch and wait!!!..

I would also suggest that you get a good flashlight that puts out a narrow beam.. If you have an iPhone 4 you can use the camera light on it as well to candle the eggs. Check on day 7, 14 and right before lockdown on day 18. Determine what days you are going to pull eggs that arn't developing. You don't want an eggplosion in your new bator.. YUCK!

Good Luck and ask away.. There are a lot of people here that are more than willing to help!

Thanks!

Just picked up a digital therm/hygrometer. We have the auto turner for the incubator that seems to be running well, at leas it "turned" the thermometer for several days. We candled the eggs before putting them in. Obviously nothing there, but it was a good way to start
smile.png

Question -- I've seen so many different temperature recommendations. The one that was directed to the still air incubator said 96 degrees. The instructions for the incubator said 100. ???????

Last edited:
Sounds great! Seems like you know what you're doing, unlike many other first-time hatchers. iPhone 4 flash is a great idea, I never thought of that! I'm glad that you got the hygrometer, yes, you WERE being naive
wink.png

Good luck and keep us updated!

I didn't notice, are you a part of the NEW YEARS DAY hatch?

There are 117 participants.

Go the link at the bottom of this post, read Post #1, then post how many eggs you are setting,
Make guesses as to how many chicks I'm hatching including names of breeds of first three and you are set up. Ask any questions you may have there and they should be answered within a half an hour.

Good luck hatching those New Years Day babies.

The humidity fell into the 30's, so I put some water in the troughs. It's still adjusting to that "invasion," but the humidity is back up to 40% so far. I assume as the temperature climbs back up the humidity will fall again. What else can I do to adjust the humidity?

I typically run my humidity a 30-35% during days 1-18. If you want to keep it up higher around 40% then you can add a wetted sponge, but you will have to play with the size of sponge you need to keep it up without getting it to high.

Back
Top Bottom