"Ready to Go" Building Plans for a Woods Style Coop

Hello! I'm new to chickens - in fact, I don't have any chickens yet, but I do have a nice, big backyard and I'm trying to create a nice habitat and figure out all the different elements of chicken care BEFORE I get any birds. (Can you imagine?) I live in Ohio; hot humid summers, cold winters, lots of rain and sometimes a lot of snow. Wild weather fluctuations. I have been searching this forum for a few days and yes, it looks like the best choice would be a "Woods" style coop. These only are designed in two sizes, right? 16x10 and 10x6? I probably will only have 5-6 chickens in the end (technically only 5 are allowed in my area) so I'd like to build a 10x6 size coop.

I found all the lovely threads where people show off their handiwork, and I found the scan of the original book, but I can't find any "plug and play" ready-to-build plans. My plan is to hire a builder I know to build this for me, but while he is a decent builder he's not a "chicken person" so I need to be able to give him plans that he can just follow without having to apply too much judgement. And like I said I'm a total newbie as well. Is there anywhere I can find an ****easy to follow***** ready to go plan for building a 10x6 Woods style coop?

Thank you so much in advance!
Same issue here. Also looking for the "

Not sure Exactly what a Woods coop is though I did google and see the designer and a range of beautiful coops. I would suggest raising it up on solid 4" x 4" footings so you are off the ground at least 16-18"and your animals also can range under the building in relative security. It also helps if you get snow and ground predetors. When I built my landlocked coop (verses tractor style) I did this and am ever so grateful that I did... Security, shade, no shoveling. Pressure treated or cement is a must for moisture / rot reasons.
Also I went with an 8' x 8' with a 6' gable so I can stand up and divide the coop for babies
: )
Sadness you can only have 5 animals per law but they will be so well loved and cared for by you!

There is a third size 6' by 10' discussed in the Woods book, identified therein as a brooder but there are several folks who have built it as a main coop, more suitable to the number of birds you are wanting.

I have not seen ready to go plans for any of the Woods coop sizes. Chapter III in the section on "Portable KD Type" does have reasonable detail sufficient to build by any competent builder or even an experienced DIYer. If your builder disputes that find another who is prepared to spend a few hours to read the details provided and come up with a materials list and cost estimate. This would be a great "test" for anyone that you might hire, spend a few dollars to avoid scammers!

I recommend that you use the heights specified in Chapter III regardless of footprint size. That will result in a walk in coop that one can use without hitting your head or having to bend over whenever one is inside.

I also recommend using the build design/techniques in Chapter III. I live in a cold snowy location and have been through 4 winters; the design is more than strong enough to endure several feet of snow and ice. If you have access to rough cut lumber even better. your total cost will be less than using than using the modern stick framing most folks employ. Look at "My Coop" for pictures that illustrate this approach.

Happy to answer any questions.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom