Ready to move chicks into coop with bigger chickens, need advice

Hayleylashea

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2017
Flower Mound, TX
I've got 5 seven-week old chicks that are ready to move outside and into the coop with my other 5 ten to twelve week old chicks. The size difference is quite considerable. They've been introduced out in the yard, but hang out in their separate flocks. It's time to move the smaller chicks outside, but I don't know how to introduce them into the coop at night with the other chickens. Thanks for your help!

I would put them in the coop when you have time to monitor them. Remove the chicks immediately from the coop if the older chicks begin to peck at them. The birds hanging out in separate flocks is completely normal behavior. When they all learn to like each other and become closer to the same size, they will merge together to form one flock. It may take all of them some getting used to. You may find that sometimes they will be as far apart as possible while in the coop. Also, if the older ones are pecking at the younger ones, keep reintroducing them, day after day until they stop the pecking. :)

Back
Top Bottom