Realeasing doves for weddings or funerals???

To me doves and pigeons are different you can cross breed them but the distinction of looks is different

Doves are normally very much so smaller and slender and normally stay in just a pair or a few more.

Pigeons are normally bulkie and fly in huge flocks

Heres a great dictionary discription:

"pigeon: any one of a group of birds with a plump body, short tail and short legs...There are numerous species, making up a family of birds. The smaller kinds are usually called doves.

dove: a bird with a thick body, short legs, and a beak enlarged at the tip. It is a small kind of pigeon that is not domesticated."

^^ So basically, that i nkow of there IS NO wild pigeon in the US, however theres wild doves. We only have feral pigeons. I need to check my bird book to back this but im pretty sure theres no such thing as a wild pigeon *in the us that I know of*. There was the passenger pigeon in the US but it was irradicated early on by hunters.

THe word "Dove" is normally used to discribe the dainty, "peace" birds.

Where as the word "pigeon" is normally used to discribe the ones you see on the streets in NY. Considered "Dirty" and other unneeded names. Doves make pooey messes too
wink.png

Last edited:
There was the passenger pigeon in the US but it was irradicated early on by hunters

Yes remember my grandfather tell of the flocks were so large, they could shoot one shot,kill more than 20. Where the squab eating started. They nested in the millons.

Read a book when I was a boy called WINGS OVER HEAD. all about the passenger pigeon.

Lots of sayings from the time. Clay pigeon replace them, they used to use the passenger.
Stool pigeon, came from when they placed a passenger pigeon on a stool. as a decoy when a flock came over they pull out the stool.(bird was tied to the ground) when they land with the stool pigeon, they were netted.

Last edited:
They only call them 'doves' for marketing purposes. They are releasing white homing pigeons because homing pigeons will return home. If you release a true dove it will not go home, and will get lost.

Quote:
I fully intend to have chickens at my wedding . . . a Hallowedding, to be exact. I'm planning on having buff cochins (they look like pumpkins) and the devil birds, for obvious reasons
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The birds that we all know as pigeons are direct decendants of the wild Rock Dove.

Doves are smaller, dainty birds.
Racing Pigeons are the thoroughbreds of the sky!

We all use different breeds of white homers for weddings and never use dainty doves for the release as they would perish in the wild and that would be terrible,
however we do use them for static displays in cages and for photos with the bride and groom.
I have white homers and white 1/2 fantails, they are all pets. The fantails display more personality and are much more verbal.
The racers take months of gentle compass/distance increment training and yes, it gets nailbiting sometimes when theres a hawk hanging around.
I love the business that im in, not many jobs entail you to just stand there and absorb the beautiful sight, however, in saying that, not many jobs entail poo scraping , and I mean lots of it!!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom