Really...Baby Coon....

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
So my hubby was out mowing and called me saying he found a baby raccoon. He refused to touch it so I took some gloves and went to evaluate the baby. Eyes are shut still and the poor thing is covered and I mean covered in fly eggs. So first order of business, How to remove the fly eggs before they turn maggot and eat this poor thing alive? (No I don't really like raccoons because they eat chickens but still it is a baby and will suffer if not taken care of.) Any help would be great currently scouring the internet for more info.

Do you have a wildlife rehabber you can call? Or maybe a rescue? Not sure what you have available in your area but that would be my first step. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on what to do having never encountered this situation.

ETA Hubby just suggested Animal Control if you have one of those. They would at least be able to guide you in the right direction.

Last edited:
If you dont get any info I can send you the email of a friend that may be able to help you. He is a wild animal rehabber and just raised 2 baby coons.

Awww..can we see a pic of him??
I never find any cute baby animals..*grumble...grumble..*

Quote:
bite? it's eyes aren't even open yet ....
i've successfully raised coons when they were that small.
DO NOT take it to animal control unless you want it dead.We always took "our" babies to the local AUDUBON WILDLIFE CENTER where they would reintroduce them into the wild.

They are fairly easy to raise, you treat them as you would a kitten. Feed them kitten formula from a small animal bottle. You will find basic directions on the formula pkg. which you can get at your local vets as well as petshops,feedstores or even walmart i believe. You do need to be sure to stimulate the bowels with a damp,warm wash cloth or soft rag after each feeding. They do need feeding every 2 hours or so at that age.No telling how long that "kit" has been w/o a meal so that's a priority .

those maggots are a real issue also.if you use 'baby bath' warm water and be VERY careful you can clean the little guy up by rinsing it off( no soap/shampoo) then blow dry it on low setting and towel dry it in combination ,be careful not to burn it with the hair dryer though.
when he's dry make a 'nest' for it in a box with a towel or soft rags with a heating pad under them .Set the heating pad on a temp. that makes your hand feel warm when you touch the cloths.
Coon kits are adorable creatures as babies .they love to cuddle and follow you around and pat your face and purr when they're contented .They can be very amusing too and when they open their eyes it's a steady adventure in MISCHEF to be around them !However....they ARE wild animals and can become VERY AGGRESSIVE when they reach puberty and older....NOT a good pet. Also, i suspect you need a license to even keep them.
Hope this helps

Last year, we found these 2 babies mewling in our front yard. My daughter knew a friend whose parents had a raccoon rescue so we called them for help. We gave them kitten milk for food (found in pet dept of grocery store). They did get sticky from the milk so we had to wipe them down with water and we towel dried them. They stayed in a small dog crate lined with old blankets in our mudroom until we were able to take them to the rescue the next day.
83798_img_2980.jpg

Handle with care. Around here (NJ) rabies is endemic/epidemic in the coon population. If the coon is in the condition described, it is sick with something.

I was mowing the lawn today and I seen 3 baby bunnies runnin out of their den I had to get off my mower to move the one where I was about to cut or course I didn't touch it I just shook the fence to boot it little but from harm. As for raccoons I've never seen them were I am yet though they are around my area.

Back
Top Bottom