Really bad diarrhea

She has bumblefoot. Does that count as both inflammation and infection?
It does, but to me it seems that the bumblefoot is not her only problem.
Not laying since May hints to issues of the reproductive tract, which might be cancer, salpingitis, EYP or similar.

Or she might be suffering from a severe tape worm infestation, which needs to be treated with a different dewormer containing praziquantel (i.e.Equimax horse dewormer). Or use Flubendazole 10%.

You could weigh her every other day to determine if she

is within the normal range for her breed,
is constantly gaining weight despite the diarrhea,
is losing weight at what speed.

Edit: Some 4-5 days of Moro's carrot soup will help to restore gut balance after deworming. Becareful to use only half the amount of salt (1,5 grams instead of 3), as chickens' kidneys are sensitive to salt.
https://www.ency123.com/2015/09/natural-remedy-for-diarrhea-professor.html

Last edited:
It does, but to me it seems that the bumblefoot is not her only problem.
Not laying since May hints to issues of the reproductive tract, which might be cancer, salpingitis, EYP or similar.

Or she might be suffering from a severe tape worm infestation, which needs to be treated with a different dewormer containing praziquantel (i.e.Equimax horse dewormer). Or use Flubendazole 10%.

You could weigh her every other day to determine if she

is within the normal range for her breed,
is constantly gaining weight despite the diarrhea,
is losing weight at what speed.

Edit: Some 4-5 days of Moro's carrot soup will help to restore gut balance after deworming. Becareful to use only half the amount of salt (1,5 grams instead of 3), as chickens' kidneys are sensitive to salt.
https://www.ency123.com/2015/09/natural-remedy-for-diarrhea-professor.html
Her abdomen is not full at all. It is just the normal size, even smaller perhaps?
I've lost a hen to EYP and I know the symptoms. They do not resemble her at all.

What are the symptoms of tapeworm?

Before her extreme molt, she was really underweight. I've noticed that she gains and loses weight easily. I'll be sure to measure her weight tomorrow as it is night here.

Will I find flubendazole at my local drug store?

Will I find flubendazole at my local drug store?
I am not familiar with pharmacy stocks in Pakistan, sorry.

Here are some of the countries listed and the names under which you can get Flubendazole dewormer:

https://www.drugs.com/international/flubendazole.html#

What are the symptoms of tapeworm?
Diarrhea, nutritional defeciencies, weight loss, weakness, feather loss, neurological symptoms etc.

Her abdomen is not full at all. It is just the normal size, even smaller perhaps?
I've lost a hen to EYP and I know the symptoms. They do not resemble her at all.
That is good, so EYP is not likely.

I am not familiar with pharmacy stocks in Pakistan, sorry.

Here are some of the countries listed and the names under which you can get Flubendazole dewormer:

https://www.drugs.com/international/flubendazole.html#

Diarrhea, nutritional defeciencies, weight loss, weakness, feather loss, neurological symptoms etc.

That is good, so EYP is not likely.
I really need your help! My hen is suddenly really lethargic! She is even shivering... and not eating anything. Her crop is nearly empty. Her weight is currently 1.5 kg

I really need your help! My hen is suddenly really lethargic! She is even shivering... and not eating anything. Her crop is nearly empty. Her weight is currently 1.5 kg
I gave her honey + acv water. She has enough energy to move around a bit. Still lethargic. Her dropping was completely water.

How is her bumblefoot looking? The infection from it might have progressed to systemic. You could try some antibiotics and see if it helps.

Are there informations available about actual cases of avian influenza or other viral diseases in you location?

1.5 kg isnot much, unless she is a bantam.

I would start her on the Moro carrot soup immediateley and in case the shivering persists, give antibiotics. But be aware that in case of a viral infection, the antibiotic treatment will not help.

Let us see what @Eggcessive and @azygous have to say.

How is her bumblefoot looking? The infection from it might have progressed to systemic. You could try some antibiotics and see if it helps.

Are there informations available about actual cases of avian influenza or other viral diseases in you location?
I gave her feet an epsom salt bath and she looked a bit better. Her crop only had a little water. She is actually the lowest on the pecking order. I'll start her on antibiotics then. Should I not give her flubendazole then? We'll go to the vet soon to buy it.

There are no cases of any viral disease in my area.

1.5 kg isnot much, unless she is a bantam.

I would start her on the Moro carrot soup immediateley and in case the shivering persists, give antibiotics. But be aware that in case of a viral infection, the antibiotic treatment will not help.

Let us see what @Eggcessive and @azygous have to say.
She is not a bantam... she is underweight then?

Back
Top Bottom