Really bad diarrhea

I gave her feet an epsom salt bath and she looked a bit better. Her crop only had a little water. She is actually the lowest on the pecking order. I'll start her on antibiotics then. Should I not give her flubendazole then? We'll go to the vet soon to buy it.

There are no cases of any viral disease in my area.
If you go to the vet today, they might be able to determine whether it is a viral, bacterial or parasite infection and prescribe the therapy accordingly.

From far, we can just try to find out what is wrong by process of elimination.

I hope she will recover.

Yes, by 1 kg. The normal weight for a standard Auatralorp hen would be 2,5 kg.
Maybe nearly all 6 of my hens might be underweight then, eventhough they usually eat so much that I can see their protruding crops. I'll compare her weight with the others.

This is the hen with diarrhea, Cupcake.

Attachments

• 20220224_145127.jpg
    20220224_145127.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 4
Maybe nearly all 6 of my hens might be underweight then, eventhough they usually eat so much that I can see their protruding crops. I'll compare her weight with the others.

This is the hen with diarrhea, Cupcake.
What source of protein do you feed them? The above mentioned feed is only different grains, but no animal protein.

Cupcake is very cute.

If you go to the vet today, they might be able to determine whether it is a viral, bacterial or parasite infection and prescribe the therapy accordingly.

From far, we can just try to find out what is wrong by process of elimination.

I hope she will recover.
Sadly, we don't have any proper avian vet. I took my roo to one once and he put boric acid in his eye with pus (he had coryza) instead of taking the pus out. His eye is now wasted.
His condition wasn't getting better so we took him to another vet in a more commercial area. But that vet didn't even know what a preen gland was and said that he might chop it off if it kept growing 🤦

What source of protein do you feed them? The above mentioned feed is only different grains, but no animal protein.

Cupcake is very cute.
I'll be sure to tell that to Cupcake 🥰

We feed them lentils, pulses or boiled peas twice a month. My neighbor gives his hens boiled chicken feet and sometimes raw liver (which I think is not sanitary)

I'm so new to chickens I only know of a few things that could be wrong, and maybe I missed this, but could it be coccidiosis?

I'll be sure to tell that to Cupcake 🥰

We feed them lentils, pulses or boiled peas twice a month. My neighbor gives his hens boiled chicken feet and sometimes raw liver (which I think is not sanitary)
I would consider this as not enough protein and above all: no animal protein at all.

Do you add some Poultry Vitamins and electrolytes ot their water?

I'm so new to chickens I only know of a few things that could be wrong, and maybe I missed this, but could it be coccidiosis?
She and her pal had cocci when they first came to me as chicks. Their feathers were really ruffled up and they had this bad odor from them. So I don't believe it's cocci. Although I'm not a 100% sure.

Thank you for your insight!

She and her pal had cocci when they first came to me as chicks. Their feathers were really ruffled up and they had this bad odor from them. So I don't believe it's cocci. Although I'm not a 100% sure.

Thank you for your insight!
I hope you get things figured out soon for your sweet girl!

I know when my one chicken got sick with something else (perhaps an injury could fall in to this category?), she got coccidiosis. The vet said when their immune systems are weakened, it sometimes allows coccidia overgrowth and they need treatment. Is a fecal float an option for you at a local vet?

Edit to add: I just saw you said you have no local vet options. I'm sorry!

Back
Top Bottom