Really Bad Feather Plucked Chook how do I stop it

Five of my six chickens have been treated for mites. The one that hasn't I had hatched myself and has had no treatments medical wise. However, while shes getting pecked a bit, it's nowhere near as bad as one of the other five. Also, I have looked them over to see if I could see anything and I do my best to keep their coop very clean. I'm going to look into these saddles. I had never heard of them, to be honest, except for once and I thought the guy was kidding... Who thinks about a saddle going on a chicken!? :hmm I haven't gotten peepers yet, as I cannot find where to get them, but if the hen doesn't stop I may have to...

this is exactly the problem I have with two of my hens - and none of the other seven or the roo - and the two who have it are mother and daughter! The young hen had a patch of what looked like broken-off feathers there for a while but quite suddenly (within the last two days) it's down to bare skin. Mother's back has been like that for several months. Coop and hens all treated regularly for mites. Everyone else looks great. Both are daily layers, otherwise seem healthy (tho the older hen is a little prone to poopy butt). Curious if you have determined for sure what you are dealing with.I've been dousing Mama's back with iodine which she hates and I can't tell that it is helping at all.

I ended up getting pin-less peepers on most of my chickens. It has helped immensely. They hate the peepers, but as I couldn't find a better way to stop them, they get to keep wearing them!

Back
Top Bottom